The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hanks custodian, Otto Skorzeny, cmayna, 1 invisible), 85 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,567
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#410895 05/08/2008 2:01 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
More shopping list help, gentlemen (and ladies):

I need to rebuild at least one brake cylinder on my 'bolt. What is the cylinder ID so that I can buy a properly sized hone?

Might as well buy this hone when I'm at the store getting the master cylinder hone discussed previously in another thread.

Thanks,
Bill

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
1/2T is normally 1", 3/4T 1-1/8"

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
Thanks, Bill. Without doubt, you are the Hone Guru of Stovebolt.

I was already planning on rebuilding the MC, and last night I noticed a radial splash pattern on the inside of one of my tires. I figure that the cylinder gave out, so while I have the lines open, I thought I might as well do the cylinders for good measure.

Thanks for your expertise.

Bill

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
I went to Napa's online catalog page for brake parts and found the front cylinders are quite a bit different from the rears. The fronts show to be 1-1/8" ID but the rears are 1" ID. I realize that this wouldn't affect the hone purchase, but I just wanted to make sure that this info is accurate: the fronts and rears really are different?

Kits are $4 each. At $8 for a brand new rear cylinder, I won't bother to rebuild them. But the front cylinders are going for $38 each- enough to justify rebuilding them.

I guess this shows how clueless I am about brake cylinder sizes. I thought Chevy would have used the same one on all four corners for standardizing.

Bill

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
grin I just keep a handy part # list of common stuff for my truck, we both have the good sense to own the best year eek

actually, yes, rears RAYBESTOS 2013387/8 [1.00"ID], front RAYBESTOS WC14493/4 [1.125"ID] .... but the bigger fit the rear too, and 1" was what was original

Bill

Last edited by red58; 05/08/2008 3:08 PM.

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
here's a rundown - I think changes have developed over the years ohwell "standardized" on the 4x4 ... and yeah, I got somea those cheap ones at NAPA, couldn't believe it - Chinese, but good

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
Personally, IMOHO, I never liked the brake cylinder hones. I take mine apart and clean them up really good and run them down to my local machine shop. For $10 to $15 they will run a straight sunnen hone through all 4 of them. They can remove a few thousands and they will be perfectly straight. A new kit and I'm ready to go.

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 863
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 863
Hey Red58,

Any links to the bigger trucks for brake info?
Thanks


My GMC has a bad case of ship fitters disease!
GMC: Get More Cash...
1958 GMC
1956 Chevy 1500 Hydraulic Dump Truck
1952 Chevy 1700 3-Ton Firetruck

My Webshots photos

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0