The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Mr Wilson, IHPWR, David Bush), 120 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,472
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#408368 04/30/2008 4:19 PM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 203
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 203
Ok, I searched and could not find, so...

I have a SM420 from a 52 long bed with a torque-tube drive line. I need to couple it to an open drive-shaft which will connect to a mid '70s 3/4 ton rear-end. I've seen pictures of an SM420 online with this desired setup. Can anyone share any knowledge of an aftermarket or later model rear transmission cover plate that will couple to an open drive-shaft u-joint yoke?

Thanks. This website rocks!


Dave
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Any chevrolet or gmc truck with an sm420 newer then 1955 should have the proper rear cover and yoke that you want. They used this tranny through 1967 and even into the 1980s on some larger trucks and military trucks.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 203
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 203
Sorry, I forgot to mention that this truck had a 58-60 something 235 in it, and I assumed that the transmission was also non-original since I've never seen this 4 on the floor setup with any other 52 GMC's.

So later model 420's came with an open drive-line setup? Maybe this thing is original then.

Thanks.


Dave
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
Is your truck a 1/2 ton long bed or a 3/4 ton?
You mention you are putting in a later 3/4 ton rear...
If your truck is a 3/4 ton you already have an open drive shaft from the carrier bearing on back.


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 203
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 203
Steve, it's a 100 series, longbed, '52 GMC. (1/2 ton)

So the 3/4 tons came with open drive-shafts before 1955?


Dave
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
Wondering why you want to put a 3/4 ton rear in it?
3600's had a 2 pc. drive shaft with the front being torque tube and the rear open.


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 203
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 203
The 3/4 ton rear-end I have has a nice gear ratio. 3.11 or 3.07 to 1 (I forgot which).


Dave
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Larger trucks with an SM420 had open drive also. There should be a lot of open drive type SM420's out there, and you can either swap the entire transmission or just the pieces at the back.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 203
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 203
Another reason I used that rear end is so I can use my original wheels (it's a six lug).

Well, thanks guys. I'll get on ebay and see what I can find.

Dave


Dave
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
6 lug 3/4 ton?? Would have to be an '88-'94 14 bolt semi floater, anything before that would be 8 lug.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
I've got an open driveline SM420 in my garage that I'm not using, PM me if you want to buy it.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
That rear is going to be a little wide for your truck.
I think the 6 lug 3/4 tons went a little later than '94.
I just retired a '96 3/4 ton shop truck that was a 6 lug.
Over 325,000 miles on the same engine, no rebuilds!


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 203
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 203
Just an update in case anyone searches this topic:

The rear end was a 1/2-ton six-lug 3.07:1.

I went to Novak trans parts and got some rebuild parts along with the open driveshaft rear trans plate cover. Still haven't found a drive shaft. It has to be a 2 peace (with the slip splines between the u-joints) because the yoke at the transmission is fixed. I might have to go to a shop to have one custom built.


Dave

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0