The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (3800GUY, Hanks custodian, Bill Hanlon), 191 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,099
Posts1,056,168
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#402137 04/14/2008 7:06 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
Hi Everyone,

Getting ready to work on my barn fresh '49 3100. I know that the truck has sat at least 30 years. I feel that the wiring may be to far gone to be trusted. The issue I have is that I wanna keep it looking barn fresh but don't want to start things on fire. I don't mind buying a new wire harness but I really don't want late model plastic/vinyl coated wire. Is it reasonable to find a good used OR cloth covered harness? Or should I try and locate various spools of cloth covered wire and try and fix things up one circuit at a time?

Thanks Don

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
YNZ sells new cloth covered wiring harnesses made to original spec. They aren't cheap but are very good quality and excellent customer support. You are smart to not trust the old wiring.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 435
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 435
The weakest link to any of these old trucks is in the wiring. Add to that age, moisture, mice, and the elements, and even if you don't have a fire, you'll be spending every spare moment fixing one wire after another. Best thing you could do is as Tiny said and find a supplier that can make you up a replacement harness in the old style, and you'll be riding in style without any of the worries that come with electrical gremlins. Good luck with your ride.


dj durant

1964 Chevrolet C-10 Pickup Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
why don't you like the plastic? i think the plastic coat harnesses are safer than the cloth, i haven't had any problems with mine since i changed it to the plastic, and as far as being original you can't see the wiring anyway


1949 Chevy 3600 Flatbed all orginal
1964 gmc 4000
1973 gmc 6000
2005 chevy duramax 4x4
1994 chevy 1500
Trucks are GM and Tractors are Orange

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom." - General George S. Patton
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
The YNZ harnesses are the best of both worlds. They are modern PVC coated wires that are then covered with original design cloth to replicate the original in appearance but provide modern protection.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
The PVC coated wires do change the look of the truck in my opinion. As far as the quality issue with PVC/plastic I agree that its probably superior to the original cloth covering. If I was going to "update" the truck I would use modern wire. My plans are to keep the truck as built. Just a personal preference.

Thanks
Don

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
that sounds cool Don glad to see someone who wants to theirs orginal, i didn't know they made harnesses like what Tiny was talking about; in that case since it looks orginal that sounds like the best way to go for you. when i rebuilt my 49, i left everything orginal execpt the converting to 12 volt and up dating the harness. to me it wasn't a big deal about the wiring but i didn't know that they had that type of harness, i may have even considered going that route if i had known. what does that set up cost you anyway?


1949 Chevy 3600 Flatbed all orginal
1964 gmc 4000
1973 gmc 6000
2005 chevy duramax 4x4
1994 chevy 1500
Trucks are GM and Tractors are Orange

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom." - General George S. Patton
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by mikes 63-k10
what does that set up cost you anyway?
Take the link in my first post.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
I rewired my 49 by following the existing lines and the schematic in the shop manual for the wire sizes. It is very easy to do yourself. Plan it out. I did one wire at a time but also thought about the next one for routing and so on.

The most important thing is to have a good crimping tool. Once you have it crimped do a pull test but don't go crazy. I also put heat shrink over the ends.

Now here is the part that will make some people wonder. From the firewall forward I used only black wire. Why? Because there are only a few wires and the longest run is less than 4 feet. If I could not trace it then there is something wrong with me!

If you want you can buy a fabric loom from PICO that looks authentic and run your wires through it. However I would suggest you run the wires before you put on the terminals.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0