The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (1955 1 Series, 49choptop, 3800GUY, Shade Baby), 99 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#399589 04/08/2008 4:49 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
I am looking at Penrite Steering Box gear oil for my truck. I know some of you have used the John Deere oil, but Penrite is what I think I want to use. Is 1500 weight the correct one to be sure of no leakage?

Joe headscratch


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Last edited by cletis; 04/09/2008 3:56 AM. Reason: Deleted Ebay link
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Joe,

It appears that Penrite makes only one Steering Box Lubricant so you can't make the wrong choice.

This item is merely a NLGI grade 00 (double ought) grease. Castrol and many others make this item. It comes in a 14 1/2oz cartridge. It is self leveling, or semi-flowable, and will not leak out.

I looked at the old Chevron Dura-lith grease in '00' and noticed it had a much higher Timken load rating than the Penrite lube.

I would recommend to get what is easiest to get...all will work!

Stuart

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 85
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 85
Looks like some good stuff,might try it myself if what I put in leaks out,I just used 140w gear oil.

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 96
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 96
I like the NLGI rating also.

Corn Head Grease JD# AN102562 / NLGI O
Golf & Turf Cutting Unit JD# TY25083 / NLGI O

JDN-305 / JDN-360 / IH B-27 (Their is IH)/ NLGI OO

http://tds.econocophillips.com/catalogs/76%20Lubricants/Grease/FOB%20Cotton%20Picker%20TDS.pdf


Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
Thank you everyone for your responses.
Now I got to get the grease out of the steering box to put the Penrite Oil in the box. Anybody got a quick way to maybe wash the grease out, or at least wash out what I am not able to dig out?

Thanx,
Joe headscratch


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 79
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 79
I used a pressure washer on mine.
Bluedawg


Bluedawg

God fearing, Gun toting, Constitution loving extremist.
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 390
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 390
I was recomended, and use a 50/50 of grease and gear lube.


1942 1\2 Ton
1951 1\2 Ton 55 willys cj-5
1954 and 59 Cushman Scooter
1960 Biscayne Sedan
1965 G/10 panel van
1966 C/30 Grizzly Motorhome
You know you're a 'Bolter when your daily driver is older than you are...
My progress pics
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
someone out here at one point said they used STP motor oil treatment. very thick and does not leak. Don;t know from experience, only repeating what I heard.


Tim Sheridan
1947 First Series Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Liberty Series" - "Art Deco" - Whatever you'd like to call it.
In the Gallery
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I use Alemite Hi-Temp #2, part # 9025-01, which is a hi viscosity fluid lubricant, with exellent results. Works well in the U-joints, too.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 161
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 161
lot of people said before '90 leaks'. I put 90 in mine, no leaks, and it steers great!


I LOVE MY TRUCK

1959 Chevrolet Apache 38 Panel Truck in the Gallery
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
Speaking of the gear box, what da hect are you spose to do with that little al. dothingy thats screwed into the gear box on top that has a little rod sticking out of it.
If I remember right in the manual it says to give this a pump now and then.
What I'm trying to figure out is how something is supposed to stay in that thing to pump if that be the case.
Or is this just some dodad that you can throw away and screw in a plug. Anyone got an idea ?
Dan


Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it.
101st Screaming Eagles
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
Got the bulk of the grease out of the steering box today. I didn't pressure wash it because it is still in the truck. I removed the bottom of the box and soaked it down with brake clean several times. I dug most ot the grease out. Of course, there is still some in the box as it is impossible to get it all out, but I feel like I got 90% of it. I think the Penrite will eventually take most of that grease into itself and it will become part of the Penrite oil. Is that good, logical thinking, or wishful thinking?
Thanks,
Joe headscratch


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0