Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (frogfarmer),
116
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,268 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 | I am looking at Penrite Steering Box gear oil for my truck. I know some of you have used the John Deere oil, but Penrite is what I think I want to use. Is 1500 weight the correct one to be sure of no leakage? Joe 
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 |
Last edited by cletis; 04/09/2008 3:56 AM. Reason: Deleted Ebay link
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | Joe,
It appears that Penrite makes only one Steering Box Lubricant so you can't make the wrong choice.
This item is merely a NLGI grade 00 (double ought) grease. Castrol and many others make this item. It comes in a 14 1/2oz cartridge. It is self leveling, or semi-flowable, and will not leak out.
I looked at the old Chevron Dura-lith grease in '00' and noticed it had a much higher Timken load rating than the Penrite lube.
I would recommend to get what is easiest to get...all will work!
Stuart | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 85 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 85 | Looks like some good stuff,might try it myself if what I put in leaks out,I just used 140w gear oil. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 | Thank you everyone for your responses. Now I got to get the grease out of the steering box to put the Penrite Oil in the box. Anybody got a quick way to maybe wash the grease out, or at least wash out what I am not able to dig out? Thanx, Joe 
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 79 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 79 | I used a pressure washer on mine. Bluedawg
Bluedawg
God fearing, Gun toting, Constitution loving extremist.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2000 Posts: 390 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2000 Posts: 390 | I was recomended, and use a 50/50 of grease and gear lube.
1942 1\2 Ton 1951 1\2 Ton 55 willys cj-5 1954 and 59 Cushman Scooter 1960 Biscayne Sedan 1965 G/10 panel van 1966 C/30 Grizzly Motorhome You know you're a 'Bolter when your daily driver is older than you are... My progress pics | | | | | Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 629 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 629 | someone out here at one point said they used STP motor oil treatment. very thick and does not leak. Don;t know from experience, only repeating what I heard.
Tim Sheridan 1947 First Series Chevy 1/2-Ton"Liberty Series" - "Art Deco" - Whatever you'd like to call it. In the Gallery | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I use Alemite Hi-Temp #2, part # 9025-01, which is a hi viscosity fluid lubricant, with exellent results. Works well in the U-joints, too.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 161 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 161 | lot of people said before '90 leaks'. I put 90 in mine, no leaks, and it steers great! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 502 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 502 | Speaking of the gear box, what da hect are you spose to do with that little al. dothingy thats screwed into the gear box on top that has a little rod sticking out of it. If I remember right in the manual it says to give this a pump now and then. What I'm trying to figure out is how something is supposed to stay in that thing to pump if that be the case. Or is this just some dodad that you can throw away and screw in a plug. Anyone got an idea ? Dan
Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it. 101st Screaming Eagles
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 | Got the bulk of the grease out of the steering box today. I didn't pressure wash it because it is still in the truck. I removed the bottom of the box and soaked it down with brake clean several times. I dug most ot the grease out. Of course, there is still some in the box as it is impossible to get it all out, but I feel like I got 90% of it. I think the Penrite will eventually take most of that grease into itself and it will become part of the Penrite oil. Is that good, logical thinking, or wishful thinking? Thanks, Joe 
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | |
| |