The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Tronman, wilbur53, Jon G, GMCJammer51, Hotrod Lincoln, 1 invisible), 85 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,569
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
Just a heads up from my most recient experiences with them and their Big Red products. I have tried 4 of their 2 ton engine hoists or cherry pickers and all of these things will not bolt up properly. The floor models are even off 1/8 to 1/4 inch where the base plate that supports the ram mounts to the frame. Stay away from this cheap product made in China.

Hank


1951 restoration on website
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.hanklong.com
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Hankdogg,

It's amazing isn't it! I can visualize the shop foreman and the worker in the Chinese factory having a technical conversation about the construction of the engine hoist...

Worker: Where shall I drill the hole?

Foreman: Anywhere you want!

Worker: What size should it be?

Foreman: Any size you want!

Stuart

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
I got my Chinese engine hoist at Tractor Supply and it fits together and works as advertised.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
Hank,
I purchased onna there cherry pickers abought 2 yrs ago and it has been a good tool, after I did my motor swap my brother who is in buisiness bought it off me an he uses it all the time,liftin his used oil drums to put in the bed of his pickup for recycle, pulling motors, lifting 4 wheelers etc...it still works great.
Maybe there was a switch since I got mine because it went together without any probs?
Will keep your post in mind if it needs replacin in the future.
Tim


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
Originally Posted by atomarc
Hankdogg,

It's amazing isn't it! I can visualize the shop foreman and the worker in the Chinese factory having a technical conversation about the construction of the engine hoist...

Worker: Where shall I drill the hole?

Foreman: Anywhere you want!

Worker: What size should it be?

Foreman: Any size you want!

Stuart

You are right on the money with that assessment Stuart! The funny/ sad thing is that Northern will not send these things back....they just put them on the floor as display models and hope to sell them. Caveat Emptor.


1951 restoration on website
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.hanklong.com
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
Woody, I will check out TSC..... how long ago did you purchase your lift? Thanks,

Hank


1951 restoration on website
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.hanklong.com
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
I am using a Harbor Freight hoist( As Chinese as they come). It was cheap but works really well, the wheels are good quality and the ram is easy to operate. Joe

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
I too have the HF 2-ton hoist purchased for $147.00 (on sale) and it works really well and assembled without a problem. I would guess that depending on brand the quality could be all over the board at any given time in a production cycle.

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 101
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 101
But my 2 ton engine hoist from Northern Tools and I really couldn't be happier with it. I bought it in minneapolis at a car show for 140 on sale with the engine balancer included then they had me just grab one from the store in fargo when i got back home instead of me having to lug it back. Went together fine works great. Use it for alot of things.


Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0