The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (John Dlugos, Buckeye998, Gray_Ghost, Gdads51, dt235sd, rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53), 236 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
I've got my fresh set of 3 piece wheels now for my '51 6100 and getting ready to get them sandblasted. I'm wondering about getting them powder coated or should I stick with a good quality urethane enamel on them? I'm thinking that either way you have to be cautious of how much material is put into the lock ring groove.
Thanks
Don

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I would think powder coating would be fine, but be sure to explain the whole idea to the guy doing it, so that on the parts that fit together he puts just enough on to do the job, and not so much that it causes problems.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
I wouldnt. Id use spray paint, for the simple reason that they are going to get the cr@p beat out of them to take them apart, and gonna get beaten again to get them back together. Powder coating will chip or crack and it aint an easy fix once the wheels back together. Ill be doing this before to long and Ive given it a lot of thought, and I cant see them not getting chipped in the process. Hence, touch them up with a poof can when done.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I have worked with two different sets of two piece lock ring wheels, both painted professionally for high dollar car restorations, and the rings were chrome plated. The paint was thicker than it needed to be, not that there was a problem with fit, but more of a problem with squishing and chipping it.

Very carefully I was able to mount tubes and tires on all of them without chipping the paint or the chrome. It would have been simpler if they were powder coated.

Cut up some antifreeze jugs into about 2" X 5" strips, a few dozen strips, and use them as pads between the lock ring and the wheel, and between tools and ring or wheels.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Grigg Im sure you have more patience then the guys at the tire store!


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
I am going to go with powder coat. It's durable and easy to keep clean. I haven't tackeled the 3 piece wheels yet. But by design they don't look like they would have to be beat on to get apart if the tire bead has not rusted to the rim. And if they are powder coated I doubt that they would rust.Maybe some one with more experience will chime in.
Cleon


Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the nearer the end the faster it goes.




1949 Chevy 6400
1931 Chevy Firetruck



Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
I'm with Jeff, go with the regular paint. I too have thought about this for quite some time as I'm about to do this also. I don't care how much time you take or how carefull you are, they are going to get scratched going back together. With regular paint you can just touch them up after all the swearing is done. grin

Bruce


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
Trust me- - - -it takes some energetic work with a tire hammer or a slide hammer to break those things down, even if they aren't rusty or siezed up. You're bound to miss a lick occasionally, resulting in dinged-up paint or minor dents. I like to coat the sidewalls with a thin layer of oil or grease, and touch up the wheels with a spray can if I want to hide the dings, then pressure wash everything to get the grease off.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 91
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 91
Just curious, is there any reason you couldn't touch up a powdercoated rim with some matching paint?

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 28
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by obrien1952gmc
Just curious, is there any reason you couldn't touch up a powdercoated rim with some matching paint?
I think it would take too much paint to get it the right thickness, the chips would be very noticeable.


don't let fear and common sense stop you

'49 Chev AD 2 ton
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h37/rippintare/SUC52849.jpg
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Yes you can touch up with paint, it is not that difficult,
Powder coating is not always thick, it can be thin too, just depends on how much they put on.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 75
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 75
I was told if you get the rims powder coated that the crack after some time from the flex of cornering & they start to rust in those cracks.
If you have things that are PC & want sand blasted it costs more cause it will take longer.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
I took the 3 piece wheels to the tire shop this morning to have the old tires removed. They put 3 young strong boys on them and they had all 6 tires off within a half hour, I dropped them off at the powder coaters, and should have them back to the tire shop in about 10 days to have the tires mounted. I will let you know how it turns out. I have had 2 piece wheels with the split outer locking ring powder coated before with good success.
Cleon


Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the nearer the end the faster it goes.




1949 Chevy 6400
1931 Chevy Firetruck



Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
Had the tires mounted on the newly powder coated wheels this morning. I'm happy to say the tires went on like they had eyes. 2 people mounted all 6 in 30 minutes. And they did not have to beat on them. No chipped paint or scratches. Cleon


Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the nearer the end the faster it goes.




1949 Chevy 6400
1931 Chevy Firetruck



Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Great!
I knew it would work.
Do you have pictures yet?

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
Grigg, here are a couple of pics. I have not put the wheels on the truck as I am into the brakes now. (Dirty nasty job)The wheels are silver.The lock rings or snap rings are black along with the reinforceing rings. I have chrome covers for the lug nuts. The pictures did not copy well but you get the idea.They come out better when you maximism the picture. Cleon
http://inlinethumb51.webshots.com/39922/2757308010098468599S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb58.webshots.com/34105/2206576310098468599S600x600Q85.jpg


Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the nearer the end the faster it goes.




1949 Chevy 6400
1931 Chevy Firetruck



Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
S
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
They look great. Was it expensive?


A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin
When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
Super55, I paid $55.00 a wheel for sand blasting and powdercoat.
I think that is about average. It's well worth it to me as I don't like to paint wheels. Cleon


Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the nearer the end the faster it goes.




1949 Chevy 6400
1931 Chevy Firetruck



Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I just paid $40 per wheel for blasting and powdercoat, one piece wheels. Not sure if he charges more for multi piece?

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
Grigg, I would say you got a very good price. I have had quotes as high as $70.00 per wheel in this area. Cleon


Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the nearer the end the faster it goes.




1949 Chevy 6400
1931 Chevy Firetruck




Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0