The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,143
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
The rear lower portion of the front fenders and the front of the rears have small rust through areas. Can these be filled in with a mig welder and then ground down and then a fine film of bondo applyed or should they be completely removed and a patch panel welded in?? Thanks

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
Remove all rusted areas to good metal and weld a new section in.
You'll just keep blowing larger holes if you try and fill a rust hole with a mig welder.


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
I agree with Steve, If the metal is thin an rusted through, patch the offended areas with good metal.


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 453
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 453
Depending on the size of the holes and the thickness of the metal that's left over, yup, you can mig weld the holes. If they are small enough with good metal around them, use copper in the back of the holes to act as a heat sink for the weld. I've done it a couple times on my truck. No big deal...take a piece of copper pipe and smash it flat. Put the copper behind the hole and let the weld pool up on the copper while at the same time penetrating the good metal and bingo, the hole is filled. I typically didn't do this if the hole was larger then a 1/4". If the holes are too large, I'd suggest doing what "Ghostrider" and "SW Radial" mentioned.

Last edited by mummdogg; 03/13/2008 11:27 AM.
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
Thanks for myour replies,I think a few areas can be done with the mig but i will have to do a few with patch panels. Where is the best place to get panels from?

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 453
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 453
Lots of vendors sell em. My personal preference is http://www.truckandcarshop.com/ just because I find them to be cheaper. I would only go there if you know exactly what you need because their customer support isn't the greatest.

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
One fender I decided to mig weld and all the others including one cab corner and one outer cowl I will replace with patch panels. I ordered them from the company that used to be called Chevy Duty, Off hand I can't remember their name right now. Thanks for your help. Elmer

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
That would be Classic Parts of America

http://www.classicparts.com/


~Jim

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0