| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
162
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,139 Members48,435 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 91 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 91 | The rear lower portion of the front fenders and the front of the rears have small rust through areas. Can these be filled in with a mig welder and then ground down and then a fine film of bondo applyed or should they be completely removed and a patch panel welded in?? Thanks | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 | Remove all rusted areas to good metal and weld a new section in. You'll just keep blowing larger holes if you try and fill a rust hole with a mig welder. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 | I agree with Steve, If the metal is thin an rusted through, patch the offended areas with good metal. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 453 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 453 | Depending on the size of the holes and the thickness of the metal that's left over, yup, you can mig weld the holes. If they are small enough with good metal around them, use copper in the back of the holes to act as a heat sink for the weld. I've done it a couple times on my truck. No big deal...take a piece of copper pipe and smash it flat. Put the copper behind the hole and let the weld pool up on the copper while at the same time penetrating the good metal and bingo, the hole is filled. I typically didn't do this if the hole was larger then a 1/4". If the holes are too large, I'd suggest doing what "Ghostrider" and "SW Radial" mentioned.
Last edited by mummdogg; 03/13/2008 11:27 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 91 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 91 | Thanks for myour replies,I think a few areas can be done with the mig but i will have to do a few with patch panels. Where is the best place to get panels from? | | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 453 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 453 | Lots of vendors sell em. My personal preference is http://www.truckandcarshop.com/ just because I find them to be cheaper. I would only go there if you know exactly what you need because their customer support isn't the greatest. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 91 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 91 | One fender I decided to mig weld and all the others including one cab corner and one outer cowl I will replace with patch panels. I ordered them from the company that used to be called Chevy Duty, Off hand I can't remember their name right now. Thanks for your help. Elmer | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | That would be Classic Parts of America http://www.classicparts.com/
~Jim
| | |
| |
| |