Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (Ole49GMC),
109
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,292 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 275 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2007 Posts: 275 | I'm working on a 46 1/2 ton pickup. I want to install aftermarket windshield wipers/system. There are numersous systems on the market.
Looking on advice as to cost, ease of installation and dependability from anyone having experience with any of them.
Frank
No better smell than that of fresh paint. I've been building and painting cars/trucks for 47 years. Not gonna stop now. http://www.coxcustomcars.com/ | | | | | Joined: May 2002 Posts: 155 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2002 Posts: 155 | Most of the conversion kits have a no-name chinese motor and burn out when used in heavy rain or snow..I would insist on a Trico motor as they hold up..As for ease of installation, working under the dash is always a pain for me as I'm 6'7"
Geoff
68 GMC 3800 56 JD420C w/JD90 Loader
| | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 275 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2007 Posts: 275 | I hate working under the dash myself. But under the dash is getting crowded with a/c. I think I saw a couple that mount behind the kick panel. I would rather find one that will mount in the original location.
No better smell than that of fresh paint. I've been building and painting cars/trucks for 47 years. Not gonna stop now. http://www.coxcustomcars.com/ | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,554 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,554 | I'm interested in this thread also but why all the under the dash talks, don't the wipers go above the windshield? Dave
1941 Chevy"First rebuild - complete!"Follow the story in the DITY1941 GMC resting peacefully 1946/1947 Chevy Street rod on s10 frame complete 1945 GMC panel truck in line for restoration 1941 Plymouth stock complete 1941 GMC COE in restoration processRead his Project Journal1941 Chevy Coe uncertain future resting now
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | I don't know about others but photobucket is a terrible site for pop-ups etc. Every time I go there my Dell threatens divorce!
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | There was an article perhaps last year in one of the hot rod truck magazines showing the installation of same. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I'm interested in this thread also but why all the under the dash talks, don't the wipers go above the windshield? Dave The wipers and arms themselves do, but on most trucks, the motor and the transmission arms are under the dash.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 427 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 427 | Try newport engineering, easly mounts in the stock location and hooks up just as easy. www.newportwipers.com | | | | | Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 354 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 354 | Jim Carter has both 6 and 12 volt motors with arms that bolt in place of the original vacuum motor in the header panel. The same 12 volt motor is also available from several street rod suppliers. A similar motor shows up on E-bay ocassionally for about $25.
Harold Wilson 41 Chevy 3/4 Ton
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Try newport engineering, easly mounts in the stock location and hooks up just as easy. www.newportwipers.comThat's what I have, very pleased with the performance.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 354 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 354 | Are you sure the Newport unit fits a '41-46? Their ad says "Designed for attachment to O.E.M. wiper transmission or cable drums". The '41-46 truck doesn't have a transmission or cable drums.
Harold Wilson 41 Chevy 3/4 Ton
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,987 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,987 | I thought I read in one of the magazines that Newport has come up with a unit for these trucks also. And I thought it went up above, where the original was. Not sure which magazine--either "Vintage Truck" or "Classic Trucks". | | |
| |