The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Gray_Ghost, dt235sd, Steelonsteel, Nick in Manitou, frogfarmer, Bill Hanlon, mick53), 103 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,268
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
Hi All ,
If anyone would have a few minutes ...would you open the hood on your 47/55 ...an get a nice CLOSE UP up the hood hinges & e-mail em to me ??? ..it has been a long time since i removed all that and a pic.. would be great !...I have all new hinges and hardware an a pretty good idea of how it goes ..BUT AS THEY SAY ..a picture says a thousand words !
I have the fenders almost complete and tomorrow morn. my other brother will be available to help hang my hood.
ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Thanks
Tim


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
My picture link below, pictures of my mostly original 48 6400,

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2800476460080251109IslqBn

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2684335190080251109OlxZsa

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2148155230080251109rwgoQy

These hinges have a small tension spring between the two arms, I have not noticed this detail before, not on my 52, perhaps they dropped that detail in later years?

Grigg

Last edited by Grigg; 03/01/2008 2:18 PM.

•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Grigg,

I have also never seen that tensioning spring. Maybe it was installed to stop rattling?

It would be interesting to know how common that spring is. Maybe other people will report on what they have.

Tim

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Sorry Radial but I didn't take a pic of my 52 before I took them off. As for the Spring I think it was just the earlier years or perhaps they were just using up old stock?? It would be interesting to know for sure. I have seen many of them with the springs over the years.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
I have that spring on our 53. We had the hinges and spring powdercoated. Seems we have lost some of the tension. Hood doesn't want to stay up as before. Maybe the powdercoating had something to do with it.

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
My 1951 3100 Chevrolet has the springs on the hood hinges.


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
I'll take a look at the '54 when I go pay for it and see if it has them.


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
The small springs don't look like they do much, probably just keep things from rattling. As you can see in my pictures, both of mine have broken ends, but are still in place. I'll find new ones when I get to that part of my "restoration", or is it a "Dieselification"?

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0