Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,279 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 20 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 20 | I would like to install an original style fuel filter and fuel pump on Lucy...a 52 chev 1/2 ton. A few of the fellas are saying don't do it. They say the glass tops on these can crack and cause fuel leaks. Should I stay away from these original style parts and go with the metal top fuel pump and an ugly modern fuel filter? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | You can still go into junkyards and find glass top fuel pumps, filters, etc., without cracks after 50-60 years or more. I would use one, that glass is pretty darn thick.
Jeff | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 | The only reason some of them ever cracked was because some moron decided to keep tightening the nut that holds them on and cracked it(which I've done with a plastic electrical wall plate for a light switch....but anyways) My fuel filter is the glass type and its great cause I can just look at it and tell if it need to be changed!
58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I have never seen a cracked glass-bowl fuel pump. I suppose it could happen if someone overtightened the bowl, perhaps trying to stop a leak from having a misshapened or old gasket. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | You can purchase them at your local auto parts store.Carter is making new ones with the glass bowl on them.I have one on my 1951 216 engine,no problems. 1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 20 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 20 | thanks for your input fellas. I'm going to go with the original glass style. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 84 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 84 | If they did'nt work, howcome sooo many are seen on old tractors and motorized machinery? The secret is keep a good gasket in it and don't over torque the thumb wheel on the bottom. I have a couple from the late 40's, still good. dg | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 424 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 424 | I'm still looking for a correct AC glass bowl filter for mine. I'm definitely gonna use one when I find one. I've had them on many cars with no problems. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | Mike have you tried Chevs of the 40s??? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 1,403 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 1,403 | DGERTH is right. My dad has a 50's FARMALL Tractor and the glass bowl and I think the gasket are original. No problems. He even has to take it apart occasionally to clean out the rust from the filter, and still no leaks in the 50 year history of the tractor. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 424 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 424 | Thanks guys for the info. I'll take a look. I would really like to find an original AC filter is possible. There's a big swap in San Diego in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping I can find an original there. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Although they claim that they are just like the original and the one I bought mine from even said it was an AC there was nothing imposed or printed that said AC. Safety? I've never seen a problem with one in service. I have the glass fuel pump and an inline glass bowl. Just keep a good gasket in them and don't over tighten them. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 | just don't place a glass one above the spark plug area incase it cracks it won't cause a fire
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | We have a '48 8N that sat outside up until a few years ago with the original glass bowl on it, no cracking ever, and it's even had water in it!
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 637 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 637 | The only reason the glass fuel bowl on the pump will crack is by some gorilla trying to tighten the holder beyone yeild strength. Almost every old G.M. car of the '30's has a glass filter bown and they never crack except when abused. Normal life of this part is infinite. | | |
| |