The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (1955 1 Series, 3800GUY, Shade Baby, TooMany2count, Bluesky54), 131 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 20
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 20
I would like to install an original style fuel filter and fuel pump on Lucy...a 52 chev 1/2 ton. A few of the fellas are saying don't do it. They say the glass tops on these can crack and cause fuel leaks. Should I stay away from these original style parts and go with the metal top fuel pump and an ugly modern fuel filter?

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
You can still go into junkyards and find glass top fuel pumps, filters, etc., without cracks after 50-60 years or more. I would use one, that glass is pretty darn thick.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 547
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 547
The only reason some of them ever cracked was because some moron decided to keep tightening the nut that holds them on and cracked it(which I've done with a plastic electrical wall plate for a light switch....but anyways) My fuel filter is the glass type and its great cause I can just look at it and tell if it need to be changed!


58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I have never seen a cracked glass-bowl fuel pump. I suppose it could happen if someone overtightened the bowl, perhaps trying to stop a leak from having a misshapened or old gasket.

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
You can purchase them at your local auto parts store.Carter is making new ones with the glass bowl on them.I have one on my 1951 216 engine,no problems.


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 20
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 20
thanks for your input fellas. I'm going to go with the original glass style.

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 84
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 84
If they did'nt work, howcome sooo many are seen on old tractors and motorized machinery? The secret is keep a good gasket in it and don't over torque the thumb wheel on the bottom. I have a couple from the late 40's, still good.
dg

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
I'm still looking for a correct AC glass bowl filter for mine. I'm definitely gonna use one when I find one. I've had them on many cars with no problems.


Mike
------
1958 Chevy 3200 Fleetside
1958 GMC 100 Wideside
------
Did you get free advice today? To donate to this site using PayPal is fast and EZ. Click here: http://www.stovebolt.com/office/thanks.html
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Mike have you tried Chevs of the 40s???


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
DGERTH is right. My dad has a 50's FARMALL Tractor and the glass bowl and I think the gasket are original. No problems. He even has to take it apart occasionally to clean out the rust from the filter, and still no leaks in the 50 year history of the tractor.


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
Thanks guys for the info. I'll take a look. I would really like to find an original AC filter is possible. There's a big swap in San Diego in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping I can find an original there.


Mike
------
1958 Chevy 3200 Fleetside
1958 GMC 100 Wideside
------
Did you get free advice today? To donate to this site using PayPal is fast and EZ. Click here: http://www.stovebolt.com/office/thanks.html
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Although they claim that they are just like the original and the one I bought mine from even said it was an AC there was nothing imposed or printed that said AC. Safety? I've never seen a problem with one in service. I have the glass fuel pump and an inline glass bowl. Just keep a good gasket in them and don't over tighten them.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
just don't place a glass one above the spark plug area incase it cracks it won't cause a fire


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
We have a '48 8N that sat outside up until a few years ago with the original glass bowl on it, no cracking ever, and it's even had water in it!


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 637
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 637
The only reason the glass fuel bowl on the pump will crack is by some gorilla trying to tighten the holder beyone yeild strength. Almost every old G.M. car of the '30's has a glass filter bown and they never crack except when abused. Normal life of this part is infinite.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0