| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (3B, Otto Skorzeny),
147
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,246 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 738 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 738 | I am in the process of cleaning out my gas tank and fuel system on my '61 Chev. I took out the tank, filler neck, and associated pieces today. I bought a kit at NAPA that is a cleaner and then a sealer for the tank. What I am wondering is if anyone has used a similar product? It is a two step solvent cleaner and then the tank sealer is the third step. I was gonna buy a new tank but mine seems to be in good shape. Pretty much looking for any people who have done this that have some helpful or insightful tips. But as always feel free to throw in ideas and opinons about other stuff too!  Kyle
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton My Machine | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 | clean it and look in side if its not rusty and dosent leak dont use the sealer if its crusty on the outside clean it up and paint it with silver rustolium | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | Where's "howling timber wilderness"? If it's close to Iowa, come get a good one that I have (with a sender). I have to dispose of them someday, Scott
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 738 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 738 | Thanks guys, the "howling timber wilderness" is actually Idaho. If I was closer I would take you up on the offer. Thanks again.
Kyle
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton My Machine | | | | | Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 8 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 8 | Kyle
I have to agree with '32fire2'. If the tank doesn't leak and the inside isn't rusted then I would not use the sealant. Most sealants have a tendancy to peel or flake after a while especially with the additives in today's pump gas. Once it starts to peel, the sealant will end up clogging your fuel system.
If the inside of the tank has some surface rust and you are concerned about removing it, try dumping some old nuts and bolts in it and rolling it around for a while. That will knock the loose stuff off, then use the cleaner that you bought but without the sealant.
Good Luck, Jeff
Jeff
Some sound advice should you find yourself at the controls of an aircraft...
"Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there." | | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 435 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 435 | Years ago I was building Harleys instead of trucks, and we used a product called Kreem in the tanks. After spending a bucket load of money on a paint job and having a seam leak ruin it, something had to be done. From experience, this stuff worked wonders. Just my .02. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 8 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 8 | I have used Kreem several times to seal motorcycle gas tanks and I was pretty happy with the results. On one of the tanks though, the sealant did start to peel in a couple areas after about 3 months. After that one tank peeled, one of my buddies suggested THIS I've used it a couple times now and couldn't be happier with the results. It seems to adhere better and dry much harder. Hope this helps.
Jeff
Some sound advice should you find yourself at the controls of an aircraft...
"Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there." | | |
| |
| |