The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (1955 1 Series, 3800GUY, Shade Baby, TooMany2count, Bluesky54), 131 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
Hello,

I've decided to pull my motor and have it rebuilt. I'm going to put Langdon's HEI with dual C/W's and Fenton exhaust. What should I consider upgrading during the process? Pistons, valve seats and guides etc...... What questions should I ask of the machine shop? What cam and grind, should I use to take advantage of the added CFM's? I have read a 261 cam is a good replacement. I just want a nice running and sounding 235 for cruising, no racing, just cruising. I know many of you think I should replace with another engine but I'm set on this 235 it's the original motor. Stovebolt's RULE!!!

Last edited by 1954Chevy5Window; 01/28/2008 7:21 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
1952 Chevy Suburban
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
The 261 cam is a good choice but so are some custom grinds. I like my 3/4 race from Patrick. I'd do the 375 CFM Holley if doing it over however. The twins have a greater "wow" factor but harder to tune and forget those electric chokes. I'd mill the head .040/.060 and replace the seats. As for the pistons, guides, etc it will depend on what you find inside. These are expensive engine to rebuild so why replace or upgrade what doesn't need it?

Good luck.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 364
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 364
The main consideration of your rebuild should be the expertise, quality and reputation of your engine re-builder. If he's good, he will steer you to the appropriate mods in the internals...the fuel delivery system your thinking about has been done many times and there is a lot of knowledge on this site about the pros & cons of that set-up.


Steve G.
--------------
1942 Chevrolet 1/2-Ton Pickup Truck

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
i had a 235 once with 1 carb but someone had put a racing cam in it it ran smooth with a ton of power when you steped on it but the idle was lopey like the choke was on a little i wanted to put a stock one back in but the balancer would not come off it did give it more snap but with a truck 4 speed you realy couldnt use it mayby with an automatic it would work better or higher gears

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
Just a couple suggestions......based on my own recent rebuild of a 1960 235 in a 54 pickup. I used the 261 grind cam with dual C/W's and Fentons and am very pleased with the results. I planned the engine and drivetrain gearing for cruising at 2000 rpms at 70 mph (.72 T5 w/3.42 R&P).

Several things you might want to consider are a full dynamic balance of the rotating assembly (pricey, but worth every penny), having the block drilled for a full-flow filtering, the lower 2 bolts of the timing cover modified so you don't have to drop the pan to access the timing gears, and drilling the crank for a small block bolt so you can draw your H/B on easily and secure it. The modifications to the block set me back $60.00. The cost for a rotational balance can vary but I paid $250. which included a good set of rods to replace my mismatched set. I disagree with those who say a 6 cylinder doesn't warrant balancing.

This setup in a 235 is not going to turn your engine into a street racer but you will have one that is smooth through the power band, makes better oil pressure at both speed and idle, is responsive without hesitation, starts instantly and idles perfectly. In 3500 miles since my rebuild I haven't had a hiccup out of the engine and although much of my driving is at 70 mph+ I'm still averaging 18 mpg on 87 octane gas.

Of course, the call is yours....I'm just offering up some options that have worked for me.

Dave



Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0