The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (John Dlugos, Buckeye998, Gray_Ghost, Gdads51, dt235sd, rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53), 236 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 10
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 10
I have a 57 3200 LB with a V8. The truck is new to me and I have discovered a huge oil leak from the transmission. (I looked for a bullet hole it was dripping so fast)

I will repair but before I do, I am wondering about using a tranny from a newer truck - say a '64. I have heard that the 3 spd tranny is a weak point on these trucks and I thought maybe getting a newer transmission might mitigate the problem.

Anybody else had experience with leaks like this?
Comments on the newer transmission?

Last edited by cptchaos; 01/25/2008 11:41 PM.

'57 3200 with V8 and not much else.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
not a 'weak point', and I've never experienced severe leaks in the many I've driven - could be the rear seal, but check all the plugs are tight and the speedo cable is on

if you can scrounge up a used one with good gears and no leaks, easier to change than rebuild, and cheaper - newer will work, 64 is identical, and from 68 on they have synchro first, although there you need to get the yoke with it cuz the spline count changed, otherwise the 3 speeds are really the same trans from 55 to 70's or 80's

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 435
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 435
With the driveshaft pulled you should be able to replace the output shaft seal easily enough. I'd bet a dollar to you dime thats where your leak is at. Most of the experiences I've had with the 3 speeds is that they are bullet proof as long as they are driven with some sense and not made to reach warp speed.
Tramp


dj durant

1964 Chevrolet C-10 Pickup Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Online: Content
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
Not really a weak point if it lasted all these years and the only problem is a leak. I have owned numerous trucks & cars with that same trans and they work fine as long as you drive it in a normal manner. If it is leaking that bad and it is from the rear it will probably need the rear bushing replaced. It will need to come apart to do that.
Fred

Last edited by rfs56trk; 01/26/2008 5:25 PM.

1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
If it,s leaking that bad it could be the gasket between the case & rear housing. Check & see if the bolts are loose. I don,t think I would replace it just for a leak. A latter trans will give you linkage problems.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 10
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 10
Thanks for the thoughs guys. All good... I think I'll keep this one and fix it up. Parts place here I come!


'57 3200 with V8 and not much else.
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
What about the seal between the side cover and the case? I think thats the only seal that has been missed.

Tramp, I know that my truck won't reach warp speed with its current 3-speed. I think its doing good getting to slightly twisted speed. grin


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0