The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (fonz8261, Barry Martak, 55shaker, TUTS 59, LAJones48, Dusty53), 142 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,416
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#341449 11/25/2007 5:23 PM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 156
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 156
The original ball collar torque tube seal was a felt packing between two steel washers. I have a Felpro replacement gasket set and the seal is rubber instead of felt. It is about 1/4 inch wide and 1/8 inch thick. Are the steel washers still supposed to be used with the rubber seal?

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
I believe so. Those washers squish the gasket tight to make it not leak and retain the gasket in the collar without displacing it.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 156
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 156
I thought so too, but using them doesn't allow the collar to thread all the way up on the ball collar tube and it leaked badly. I'm thinking that the washers may be distorting the rubber gasket.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Oh, you mean theyre not supposed to leak??? grin

Mine drips a little and I just figured it was because it was old and worn. It seemed to make more sense to use the steel rings in there. I thought tightening would displace the rubber and push it out of the collar if I didnt use those rings. One thing I noticed was the old seal was quite a bit thicker then the replacement. That may have something to do with it as well. :confused:

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
When I took mine apart (49 longbed so I had two of these set-ups), the seal was cork between the two steel rings. My replacement seal was rubber and I installed it between the two rings. No leakage and everything snugged up tight. I got my kit for my longbed from American Classic and everything in it worked well. Perhaps the kit you got came from some substandard manufacturer. Think I took some pics of the kit when the assembly was all apart on the workbench.

http://community.webshots.com/user/geezer


Country Roads, West (By God) Virginia
http://community.webshots.com/user/geezer

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0