The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, rfs56trk, Buckeye998, Chip O, WICruiser), 121 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#333498 11/05/2007 10:40 PM
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 41
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 41
Hello there,

I have a stock 54 Chevy 6400. I have been looking into adding an overdrive. I have noticed that a lot of people install 3 speed Brownies or Spicers to get an overdrive.

I'd like to go a different route. Does anyone have any personal experience with the Ranger 2 Speed AUX trans offered by High-Impact? They appear to be direct bolt-on units to a 235 and SM420. The only problem I forsee is that the shift tower on the SM420 will have to be relocated 7.5inches to the rear, which might put it beneath the bench seat in these vehicles.

Any insight would be appreciated,
Elias

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 66
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 66
From what I've heard, they're good aux transmissions and handle lots of torque. I don't have personal experience, but judging by the location of the shifter in the cab,, you 'd almost definately have to modify the shifter arm to curve out from under the seat, because I think you're right,, it's going to be under the front of it.


Jon
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 190
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 190
I have sceen one or two trans overdrives with a couple diferent versions, maybe with luck ranger might have one. I think it was a t6 or something like that, think he said they used them in vets. Maybe it was trimex, they had 5 and 6 speeds - they had about three different choices to move the shifter. Just a thought, the ranger sounds neat. How much do they run, do they have a web site? I dont need one now, but its interesting good luck.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 292
3
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
3 Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 292
You would be better off with an NV4500 tran's. . . 1st is granny 5th is OD bolt's right up to the 235 I-6. . . you'll only gain about 7.5-12.5 mph depending on how heavly over the truck is . . .

The seat could be an issue requiring a custom shifter.
The truck will get very doggy once it's engaged into over drive mode so be warned of that . . . In a 1965 ford F-700 i had a ran a 5.9L diesel 6spd with 3 speed auxy worked out well ,I had low driect and high. . . Truck would run 75mph loaded but even with the diesel it lugged down fast in the hill's. . .

Mike


1962 GMC K3000, GMC-379 V6.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 59
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 59
I am thinking about putting a ranger overdrive in my 66 C30, not to go faster but rather to save gas and be able to split the gears. My truck is used for work and I need to keep the low geared rearend but its hard to afford to drive it much at 8 mpg. I am curious how much difference an overdrive would make in fuel economy. If I could pick up at least 2 or 3 mpg it would probably be worth it

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
Take a look at this I think this is the way I will be going with for my 56 6100
.http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/drivetrain/154_0509_spicer_3053a_transmission/index.html


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
Oh well don't know why the first one didn't work they are identical


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 292
3
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
3 Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 292
oh Hell I never add OD's for fuel milage i do it for road speed tho you still gain some milage only about 2.5 MPG on average. . .

My B61T with the stock Mack tri plex ran 58mph@2250rpm 4MPG with Mikey's version of the triplex it run's 72mph@2,000rpm 6MPG <<< not bad for 1959. . .thats an extra 14mph & 2mpg with a truck that has 6.38 gear's,12.00-20 tires. . .I can still pull D9 cat's with it. . .Due to old tech brake i only run it about 67mph loaded that heavy. . .

Amazing what you can do by adding a turbo to high compression NON-Turbo diesel and altering the trans behind it. . .

I used the Mack single 5 spd from an army truck 5th gear is an OD put a 3 spd auxy behind it's still a 2 stick 15spd but i got dual OVER DRIVE's. . .

thats what I call teaching an old bull dog New trick's grin. . .

Mike


1962 GMC K3000, GMC-379 V6.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0