The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gdads51, 3B, 32Fordpuchoptop, Bill Hanlon, Otto Skorzeny, Joe H), 166 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,246
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Okay I like the look of a lowered truck. I know that many of you have removed a few leaf springs from the packs in order to get a lower stance. I am considereing doing this on my 53. Is it safe? This truck isn't going to be hauling any/many loads so I don't really care that way. Will I get way less travel and bottom out? How many can I remove? How many did you remove? How hard is it to do? Thank you very much!!

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
i removed 2 out of mine years ago and it worked fine, its been so long i have trouble remebering but i think i read every other one starting from the bottom. i am sure you will get other responses. look in the search something should come up. RON


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thanks Ron, about how much did it lower it?

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
its been so long but i think about 2" a lot depends on how fatigued your springs already are. you can make lowering springs from square tubing, the same used for boxed steel frames. there usually a minium charge which is high but if you explain what you are doing they may waive it, go in off peak. this sq. tubing comes different dimensions. 1x2. 2x2, 2x3 and so on, just decide how low you want to go. longer u bolts will be needed. ron


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,217
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,217
I removed 3 from the front of my truck. I have had no problems, but I started with a new spring pack. I was just after a softer ride and didn't pay any attention to how much it lowered it. It won't be as much as you think, since each leaf is only 1/4" thick. It will drop more than that depending on how weak each leaf is. Start with the shortest ones. The more you take out, the softer the ride will be, BUT, take to many out and you could cause problems. The springs will act springier with less support under them, and under hard cornering or stopping you could get out of control very easy. You will also, need a stiffer shock to control some of bounce you added!

If you really want to lower it, go with a mono-leaf spring made for what you want. If you are after a better ride and a tad lower, pull out a few leafs.

Its a easy job once you have the spring out of the truck. Just one bolt in the center holds the pack together. Use a large C-clamp to hold the springs and remove the center bolt. Most of them will need broke off or cut off! Then loosen the clamp and let the pack loose. Now would be a good time to clean and inspect the rest of the group. A good local trailer shop or spring shop will have new center bolts. I used a Allen head bolt in mine. Just make sure the bolt head fits the locater hole in the axle. Joe

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
I removed 3 from my 55 2nd series rear.Has worked out fine.Lowered it about 4 in.I am however at a later date going to install new rear leaf setup and put the rearend on top of the springs.I have the kit,just have not found the time to get it done.AS far as the job is concerned it is an easy fix to remove some leafs.I would definitly get new thru bolts for the springs.Mine originally had 7 leafs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for all the replies guys! I have already put the rear diff on top of the leaves and it has made a big difference. My front leaf packs have 8 leaves and my rear one have 9. I have low profile radial tires of the original rims so I guess it has a pretty good stance right now. I was just debating wheather it was worth it to remove a few springs. Thanks again.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Took mine to the local spring shop. They have the hoists, the axle supports and the hydraulic clamps to hold the spring while dis-assembling it. And they bent up the leaf clamps very quickly with a hydraulic tool. Didn't charge a lot of money and in my opinion I would not have wanted to do it myself.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 20
P
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 20
From the posts above, it seems like it's safe to take three springs out of the pack, strting with the shorter ones on the bottom. I have a '51 3800 and the one ton springs are wider (and I think thicker) than those in the half-ton. Anyone out there taken springs from a one ton? If so, how many and how much did it improve the ride? Thanks


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0