| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,124 Posts1,056,334 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#26687 04/15/2005 10:59 PM | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 | Simple question. What would be necessary to mate up an SM-420 4-speed to a Chevy V8 small block? Anyone knowledgeable on that combination? Thanks.
52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup 68 Big Block Vette 68 455 Firebird | | |
#26688 04/15/2005 11:24 PM | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | a bellhousing and 4 bolts?  some trucks came from the factory that way in the 60's Bill | | |
#26689 04/16/2005 12:58 AM | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 158 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 158 | Like mine for instance! Brian P.S. So as to remove some of the "post whore" qualities of my post, I'll mention that if you're switching from an automatic, you'll also need the correct fly wheel, starter, and dust cover. Brian | | |
#26690 04/16/2005 2:42 AM | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 | I have a '66 C-10 with a factory 327cid with a factory SM420. I also have a '66 C-20 with a factory straight six with a factory SM420. The factory SM420 will bolt directly to a small block Chevy that is set up for a four-on-the-floor manual transmission arrangement. | | |
#26691 04/16/2005 2:51 AM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 54 Member | | Member Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 54 | Did that last year in my truck. Check my webshots. Keep in mind that SM-420 and SM-465 bellhousings are different. The 465 uses a larger center hole than the 420. Found mine on Ebay for something like $20. | | |
#26692 04/16/2005 3:52 AM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I bought two of the correct bellhousing last year. One for $10 at a swap meet, and the other for $25 on eBay. I saw a couple more at the last swap meet I went to.
What year truck are you putting this in? If it is earlier than '54 you will either need a '54-'55 1st type crossmember, or will need to fabricate some adapters to mate the bellhousing to the crossmember.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
#26693 04/22/2005 6:56 AM | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 | It's on a '52 3.4 ton. I expected some work anyway to get a small block in it. I was just wondering if SM-420's could be put behind a small block, and what I gather is, that it is possible, providing that I get the right bellhousing.
On e-bay, I wouldn't have known what to look for! It's clear I have a lot more to learn about my own truck! Is there a good book that I can get on these old trucks?
Thanks.
52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup 68 Big Block Vette 68 455 Firebird | | |
| |
| |