The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gray_Ghost, Shade Baby, Peggy M, Millenimech, NJC), 90 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,321
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26687 04/15/2005 10:59 PM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
Simple question. What would be necessary to mate up an SM-420 4-speed to a Chevy V8 small block?
Anyone knowledgeable on that combination?
Thanks.


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird
#26688 04/15/2005 11:24 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
a bellhousing and 4 bolts? grin some trucks came from the factory that way in the 60's

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
#26689 04/16/2005 12:58 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 158
Like mine for instance! smile

Brian

P.S. So as to remove some of the "post whore" qualities of my post, I'll mention that if you're switching from an automatic, you'll also need the correct fly wheel, starter, and dust cover.

Brian

#26690 04/16/2005 2:42 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
I have a '66 C-10 with a factory 327cid with a factory SM420. I also have a '66 C-20 with a factory straight six with a factory SM420. The factory SM420 will bolt directly to a small block Chevy that is set up for a four-on-the-floor manual transmission arrangement.

#26691 04/16/2005 2:51 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 54
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 54
Did that last year in my truck. Check my webshots. Keep in mind that SM-420 and SM-465 bellhousings are different. The 465 uses a larger center hole than the 420. Found mine on Ebay for something like $20.


"If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy!"

1961 Apache 20 4x4
http://community.webshots.com/album/97352016vHsKNP
#26692 04/16/2005 3:52 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I bought two of the correct bellhousing last year. One for $10 at a swap meet, and the other for $25 on eBay. I saw a couple more at the last swap meet I went to.

What year truck are you putting this in? If it is earlier than '54 you will either need a '54-'55 1st type crossmember, or will need to fabricate some adapters to mate the bellhousing to the crossmember.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#26693 04/22/2005 6:56 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
It's on a '52 3.4 ton. I expected some work anyway to get a small block in it. I was just wondering if SM-420's could be put behind a small block, and what I gather is, that it is possible, providing that I get the right bellhousing.

On e-bay, I wouldn't have known what to look for! It's clear I have a lot more to learn about my own truck!
Is there a good book that I can get on these old trucks?

Thanks.


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0