The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Naturalthud), 110 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,135
Posts1,056,423
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
How popular are the Suburbans anyway? I know of a real beauty of a 56 or 57. I could probably get it but I have no Idea of what to give for something like that. It is complete and sitting. It has a 80/20 bench seat in it and zero rust around the rear doors. Extremely solid and intact. Can someone give me a range of price for a Suburban that need restoration that is complete and very little rust (If any to speak of)? No I don't have a picture.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
Burbs and Panels rule!


IRWIPI 2005 Peoples Choice
Inky,
"It's not that I haven't done IT... It's that I haven't done IT yet."

--------------------
'48 1-1/2 ton Dump
'57 Chevy Panel
'59 Chevy 2 ton Dump
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
the 55-57 burbs are quite popular and if you're lookin to fix up one to sell, you could turn a good dollar on it, if you'd just like to have one for yerself, don't pass a good one up, they're not common

buddy of mine that drags stuff up from N & SD area for parts and resale would think 800-1200 would be a great deal, 1500-2000 would be ok, but too much for him, w/ his expenses, but being in the area I'd think if you had to pay as much 2000 for one that's really rust free and complete, you'd be doin fine

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Quote
Originally posted by builder:
How popular are the Suburbans anyway?

VERY POPULAR WITH THE PEOPLE I HANG AROUND WITH.

I know of a real beauty of a 56 or 57. I could probably get it but I have no Idea of what to give for something like that. It is complete and sitting.

ARE YOU SURE IT'S COMPLETE?...

It has a 80/20 bench seat in it and zero rust around the rear doors.

WHAT ABOUT THE REAR FENDER WELL, THE HEADLIGHT AREA, LOWER FENDER, LOWER DOOR, FLOOR ETC?.....

Extremely solid and intact. Can someone give me a range of price for a Suburban that need restoration that is complete and very little rust (If any to speak of)? No I don't have a picture.
VALUE: I would guess anywhere from $500 - 3500.

PERFECT FENDERS ..... $150 - 250 EA.

PERFECT HOOD ..... $50 - 200

PERFECT DOORS .....$100 - 250 EA.

COMPLETE FRONT SEAT .....$100 - 250

COMPLETE REAR SEATS (2).......$200 - 800 EA.

PERFECT REAR DOORS .... $150 - 300 PR.

PERFECT INTERIOR SIDE WINDOW TRIM AND OTHER TRIM PIECES ........ $100 - 200

UNRUSTED BODY WITHOUT PARTS .....$500 - 1000

MISC. PARTS .....$350

HASSEL OF BUYING, STORING, PARTING, SHIPPING AND DEALING WITH [censored]HOLES......PRICELESS!
grin ............g

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
My Burb is very popular with me! I can haul stuff for my wallpaper business and have the good visibility of all the neat windows. Smitty

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 35
W
Junior Member
Junior Member
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 35
Quote
Originally posted by red58:
the 55-57 burbs are quite popular and if you're lookin to fix up one to sell, you could turn a good dollar on it, if you'd just like to have one for yerself, don't pass a good one up, they're not common

buddy of mine that drags stuff up from N & SD area for parts and resale would think 800-1200 would be a great deal, 1500-2000 would be ok, but too much for him, w/ his expenses, but being in the area I'd think if you had to pay as much 2000 for one that's really rust free and complete, you'd be doin fine

Bill
HMMMM : Lets see how does this work ? you hammer me on my post then come over here and coach this guy's post and almost incurage him to make an extra buck, go figure. woodythx138 or 1940 gmc burb guy

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 221
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 221
What's the price?
Does it run?
Check carefully for rust around the back wheels. Look under the rear fenders for inner fender rust. There are NO reproductions from the door to the back so metal work for rust can be tricky.

If there is no rust along the bottom of the truck from the door to the rear bumper I would be surprised. The slider windows allow water to run down into the body. Over time dirt fills the space where the water would drain and rust developes from the standing water.

Just a few things to think about. I will tell you a pre 1960 burb is an attention getter no matter where you go. They are soooooo rare.


1959 Chevy Apache-Suburban
5.3, 4L60e, Camaro Subframe, enjoy doing the work ourselves!

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More on Hotrodders

Driving the past into the future.
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 244
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 244
Prices on theses Burb will range drastically..depending on what's there. It's a little deceiving to alot of folks how to gage it. For example, a rolling chassis with no engine or transmission, missing OE seats, window trim, crack/missing glass, no title will sell for $2500-$3000 all day. Then you have a one that's unmolested, compelete with 3 row of seats, window trims, engine and tranny (may not be running) and even with the original radio and title selling for $5000 and guys will say it's too much eek . IMO it's cheaper to buy the later one because it's complete and it saves you from having to hunt for the missing parts wink , but what do I know, I like rope burns grin

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
Update: I picked the suburban up a couple of weeks ago. Here it is.

http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/vandenberg_steve_1957.html

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Builder,

That's a nice looking truck. Get it running and I assure you that you will always cruise with a smile on your face.

Tim

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Nice 'burb Builder. I owned a Tan colored '57 Chevy Suburban, back in the late 80's. Sold it to my brother thinking he was going to keep it.It had been in the family, ever since back in the 60's. You guessed it. He turned it for a quick $


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 18
G
Junior Member
Junior Member
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 18
what out ..dont spend much on any burb,they just dont sell that good,now if you want to almost give it away then go ahead an invest,i have a really good 1948 burb,its listed in here and it almost like iam going to have to give it away,but i wont,i just got stung when i paid 5K for it,but all my burb freinds said it was worth it..NOT TRUE..bob

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 18
G
Junior Member
Junior Member
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 18
SPANKY..CARS AND BURBS ARE LIKE HOUSES..YOU ARE SUPOSE TO MAKE MONEY ON THEM,YOUR BROTHER WAS LUCKY TO SELL IT..THANK GOD IT DIDNT JUNK IT..BOB

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
This 1953 Suburban did not sell. Got a pretty high bid, considering it only had a few non-stock oddities.

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Quote
Originally posted by tclederman:
This 1953 Suburban did not sell. Got a pretty high bid, considering it only had a few non-stock oddities.
If he would have lowered his original craigslist price ($21,500)he would have sold it. I believe he sold this one offline, because the auction stated that it was no longer available. He had another 48 that he was asking $4500 for but it was a typical field pull with cosmetic primer over dents and what turned me off, a welded radio hole in the dash. The engine sat for many years before they got it running and when I saw it, they couldn't get it to run at all. I liked it, but he was about $1000 over priced, considering what still needed to be completed. Suburbans sell if they are accurately described and reasonably priced.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Quote
Suburbans sell if they are accurately described and reasonably priced.
Truth. Amen.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 244
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 244
Quote
Originally posted by GMONIZ:
Quote
Originally posted by tclederman:
[b] This 1953 Suburban did not sell. Got a pretty high bid, considering it only had a few non-stock oddities.
If he would have lowered his original craigslist price ($21,500)he would have sold it... [/b]
That Burb was owned by a guy in the Lodi, CA area who did a beautiful job of restoring it. He sold it about six months ago for far less than what was listed on cragslist. It's a nice in-line 6 driver cool

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Quote
Originally posted by gigispt:
CARS AND BURBS ARE LIKE HOUSES..YOU ARE SUPOSE TO MAKE MONEY ON THEM
If you're buying old trucks as an investment you're in this for the wrong reason.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
I agree after buying a vehicle thats been sitting in a barn and you figure your giong to fix it and sell it to make money. You've got another thing coming. It almost impossible to make money on a fixed vehicle if you take consideration all the hours you spent wrenching on it never mind all the parts you have to buy. The only exeption would be a very rare vehicle like a COPO Camaro.


38 original
48 panel
59 stepside
46 in the back forty
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I've been watching that show Wrecks to Riches sometimes. That guy seems able to pick winners and make money most the time.

But unless you have a big name like his, and can afford to seriously pursue the top dollar buyers, this is not a money-making business. At best you might persuade the IRS its a bad business and manage some write-offs.

But that only works if you like paperwork and I'd rather play with my trucks...


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
I figure when I sell a vehicle that I have to be willing to sit on it for a while and possibly keep it.

If you are in a hurry to sell becasue you need the money, it's almost a given that you will take less for it than you think it is worth.

It seems that these days a vehicle better be worth $40,000 or more when you are done restoring it, or you won't make enough on it to make it worth while.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
Old trucks don't bring the $$ old cars do. Trucks, and especially Suburbans, seem to go to a pretty narrow market. If someone wants an old truck, it's because he needs to haul parts, dirt bikes, etc. He buys the truck knowing it's not a family vehicle...which is a big deal when you can go to any dealership today and buy a truck with an extended cab.
Suburbans are even more unique--you can haul parts with them, but you're limited, due to the roof. You can't stack tall stuff, you probably wouldn't want to carry an engine, drit bikes won't fit, etc.
Or you want to use it as a family vehicle...again, not as practical as a truck with 4 doors, or a vintage station wagon for that matter.
I needed a truck to tow my car trailer, and to haul stuff for the swap meet I promote each month. The swap meet dictated some sort of enclosed vehicle. I wanted something vintage, and was going to buy a pick-up. The suburban popped up, and I thought it would be perfect for my very narrow needs. And it is.
But while it's cool, I doubt I'd ever make a ton of money on it. But I plan on keeping it, so that's not an issue. If I sold it and broke even, after driving it for years, that'd be great. And a better investment than a new truck!
-Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 273
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 273
They're VERY popular with me, but the prices for the pre-73s around here are downright obscene - if you can even find one. For now I'll just have to lavish all my attention (and $$$!) on my '87.



Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 4
O
Junior Member
Junior Member
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 4
I have a '55-2 suburban gmc that I'm selling. It's a complete body sitting on a 74 chev frame with no motor or tranny front is all chrome and interior is complete with all three seats in good condition. anybody out there want to make an offer ?


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0