The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (3B, Bill Hanlon, TooMany2count, Otto Skorzeny, Peggy M, GDW, 1 invisible), 114 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,460
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 47
Member
Member
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 47
Let me ask a stupid question. I now have the 52Panel in my shop. The fellow who had it before me did redo the straight axle. King pins,arch springs,new drums etc and I was wondering if there is a power steering I can put on the original. I will most likely put the 350 in it that I have in the shop and I want to do a lot of planning before jumping right in. It is currently all original but I like to travel and go fast at times!! I would like to also know what rear end would be a good match. I know some of you out there have done this before. Any Idea's? thanks

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
OOPs...the post I just did above shows my email address from when I was working out of town and is no longer valid. This email will show my HOME email. Thanks/sorry.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
As you will probably see from previous threads, once you go to a V8, you will need to modify the steering column becuase it will be in the way. This is the perfect time to convert to PS. The kits that I have seen use a new steering box, commonly from an 80's Toyota truck, a new Pitman arm and a revised steering column with a U-joint included.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
B
Moderator
Moderator
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
Send a PM to 48BigTrucks if he doesn't find this on his own. He's done it to at least one of his and used common Chevy parts.


Don't lose your head to save a minute,
You need your head, your brains are in it.
Burma-Shave (1947)
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Classic Performance and other venders have a power steering conversion for straight axle trucks.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
I order a power steering kit from chevy duty for my 59 chev. It works great, easy to put on. I needed to weld a bracket on to the frame were the power steering box attached to. The bracket was included in the kit. The steering box that I used was from a mid 70's chevy truck and I used a pitman arm off a 71 chevelle because the pitman arm from the mid 70s truck was to long for my application. the truck steers very nice never had any trouble.


38 original
48 panel
59 stepside
46 in the back forty
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Thanks fellows. I am a little ways off from doing this but I like to plan ahead. I will most likely start tearing it all apart next week but I print out your responses and put them in a folder for future use. This way I know what to look for and hopefully run accross it at a good price as I am in no hurry and can "shop around". thanks again.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0