The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Nick in Manitou, Gray_Ghost, Shade Baby, J Lucas, TUTS 59, Bill Hanlon, papas52, 2 invisible), 120 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,313
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 30
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 30
Hi

61 apache fleetside with torsion bar front suspension. I am busy with replacing worn ball joints and the bushings on the a-arms. This weekend I installed the bottom a-arm and what a story to get the bushings in (Long breaker bar and 3/4" socket. Being new they are really a tight fit into the a-arm. My question is how tight should they be after bottoming out the bushings against the a-arm? Mine is really tight...cant turn the bar by hand any longer. Fitted to the crossmember it is possible to move the a-arm up and down, but it is tight. I really dont want to damage the bushings. Also how do I check the centerness of the bar on the arm? Eyeball?
Thanks

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
my expeirience with torsion bars is that you shouldnt be able to turn them bye hand and tight is prob. really good ...as that means you have them preloaded correctly ...Your old ones musta been plain worn out ...Just my 2 pennies


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
I'll be doing mine in a month or 2. Ask me later grin BTW Where did you get the lower ball joints and how much? If you don't mind me asking.


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
I got a set of lowers from a place on Ebay. Hecho en S. America, but visually they looked like quality castings. They were $75 for the pair, plus shipping.

-Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
When I lowered the front of my truck I took a breaker bar and just urned the torsion bars down, not sure if that means my front end is "loose" or not. I have not even begun the nightmare of maintinence that is my front end. I am waiting to decide anout a v-8 swap, cause if I do that I might ditch the old front end for something newer and more sophistimicated...not sure though.

Kyle


"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton

My Machine
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 30
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 30
I will just trust then that everything is in order. I got my ball joints from classicparts. $89.95

They seem good quality, but I waited for ages! The upper ones are actually from Moog - I think that is a brand name? The a-arm shafts are my actual problem at the moment. Hope I did not tighten them too much!

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 40
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 40
Moog is like GE. They make everything from car parts to motors and controls for factory automation to complex high reliability sub systems for commercial and military aircraft.

Bob J

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I think you might have 2 different companies mixed up there. Moog automotive is a subsidiary of Federal Mogul, not related to the other company. However, they do make the best front end parts on the market. I use them exclusively on my cars.


Bill Burmeister

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0