The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dragracefan, Oswald, dt235sd, Ponchogl), 134 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,720
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 21
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 21
HELP -- my truck is stuck in the garage on jack stands waiting for tires. I stripped the old tires off the 18" split rims and now I can't find any new ones (traction tread type).

I am considering going to one piece rims, the taller the better as the 1-ton dually has the over sized fenders.

I have searched the stovebolt pages and it looks like 16" rims with a 235R16 tire will work as well as a 7.50R16. Any other ideas or experience? A larger rim would be preferred.

Thanks.


BLUE
1951 CHEVY 1-TON
MODEL 3800
http://geocities.com/gocountry99/
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Your truck wouldn't be a 1 1/2 Ton , would it ? Does it have duals on the back ? I am under the impression that the large fenders started with the 1 1/2 Ton.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
The problem with the modern rims is the setback is too deep. You end up with tires running into the tie rod ends on the front and need a 2" spacer to correct the issue.

I am running a pair of 16" rims from a 91 on the rear of my 3/4 ton. There is about an inch of clearance between the tire and frame. This is with a 7.50R16 tire, tallest my tire man could get me.

Another option is to go with aftermarket rims. Montana Andy found some white spokes with the right setback that are made for trailers.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
I just found some 16X6" 8 lug rims at a local trailer shop. I'm picking them up tomorrow, so I'll post the info. They have 4" of back spacing and the ridge?? around the outside edge of the hub cap. It looks like the hub cap clips can be rivited or bolted on easily, so they should look just like the stock rims .I'm looking at 235/85r16 e rated tires that are 31.8" tall. I have looked at the early 90's ***d rims,but they have the hudge ridges for the ***d hub caps. I haven't been able to find the rims Wally/Montana posted.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 21
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 21
thanks for the ideas and info.

answer to truckernix, yes my 51 is a dually, the VIN lookup says its a 1-ton model 3800. I might be wrong in thinking its the oversize fenders - thought I read somewhere where the 1-ton is oversized -- they look like it. below is a link to a picture of my truck (I have not figured out how to place it here on the post).

http://geocities.com/gocountry99/


BLUE
1951 CHEVY 1-TON
MODEL 3800
http://geocities.com/gocountry99/
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
How many lug nuts per wheel does it have?
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 90
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 90
So I take it this will no longer be a dually with the trailer wheels? Or is the trailer wheels for heavy duty applications?

Thanks,

Brent

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 21
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 21
All six are 18" split rims and are 8 lug. they had 700x18 traction tires on the back four wheels -- that is what I was hoping to replace them with but found out they are not available. Only street tires (a ribbed tread pattern)seem to be available.

If I replace the split rims I definitely want to keep the dual wheel set-up.


BLUE
1951 CHEVY 1-TON
MODEL 3800
http://geocities.com/gocountry99/
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 608
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 608
blue if this helps came across a matched set of 4 goodyear 8-19.5 highway tred tires on 8lug gm bud wheels. stored in a bsmt. was looking foR A SET OF 17,S FOR MY 1 TON.THE GUY THOUGHT THEY WHERE 17.S

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 21
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 21
thanks stevesr, appreciate the offer but really need the traction tires here in Montana. We use the truck in the woods and get hay -- sometimes the roads get nasty.


BLUE
1951 CHEVY 1-TON
MODEL 3800
http://geocities.com/gocountry99/
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I am sure that I saw an add for these type of tires, it may have been the name "Lucas". If I find something, I will post it. That is a nice looking truck, pretty pumped looking!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 21
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 21
I'M GIVING IT UP ON FINDING REPLACEMENT TIRES (TRACTION TREAD DESIGN) FOR 18" SPLIT RIMS.

They do not exist according to everyone I have called (per a lot of suggestions, thanks): Miller Tire/Ohio, Lucas Automotive/California, Wallace Wade/Texas, Coker/Tennessee, Fairmont/California, Fyco Truck Parts/Utah....(and about 6 other shops around my area in Montana).

I can find the highway tires 18x700 but not the traction tires which I need for the rear dually set-up.

Looks like I will have to change the rims. This will be a challenge as well. It may take a few weeks, but I will update this post with the results.

TIRED-OUT!!


BLUE
1951 CHEVY 1-TON
MODEL 3800
http://geocities.com/gocountry99/
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 42
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 42
I have a 52 one ton dually. same challenge. whatever happened? did you switch rims? what type?

thanks


'50 Chevy 1 ton dually daily driver, 1960 Ford F-100, 1972 GMC C-20, 1958 Kenworth, Cat D4, 1972 Ford F100 Ranger
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 135
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 135
Same tire setup for me too, 7:00 X 18". Coker Tire was about the best price I found for new highway tread tires.

I stumbled upon 4 good and 2 decent 7:00 X 18" tires in a salvage yard on a 1960 one ton. They didn't look like they had been on the truck all that long, nor the truck in the salvage yard for very long (Weeds not grown up around it yet, came from an insurance pool). I bought tires and rims for $150---and the rest of the truck for $100. Comes with a 235 which turns over freely, a PTO tranmission so that I can eventually install a hoist, etc.

I have a 1960 Apache ½ ton which I may now fix up with the extra parts.


Word hard, play harder, enjoy life!
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 226
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 226
One other thing you better check is if its like my 54 3800... the rear dually brake drums are 14 inch..which wouldnt leave clearance for a 16 inch wheel possibly (theyre not too far off of the 18 inch wheels).... ive got good mud grips on the back of mine.. and the guy at the coop said he could get them.. if ya want me to check i could or maybe possibly trade yah...but im thinkin the freight would be kinda hi..????


What it will say on my Tombstone: "Boy, that guy sure owed alotta people Money"
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 42
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 42
fatweed,

did you mean to say you can get 7.00x18 traction type tires from your coop?


'50 Chevy 1 ton dually daily driver, 1960 Ford F-100, 1972 GMC C-20, 1958 Kenworth, Cat D4, 1972 Ford F100 Ranger
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
Have you guys tried a farm or tractor supply store for those 18" traction tires?

They may not be exactly what you're looking for -- and they may be pricey -- but they'd probably work for your application and they will probably mount them on your split rims without squabbling.

Just a thought... Dunno if you'll find any, but it's worth a shot...


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
You may also consider using 19.5" rims. They were an option on the later duallys. I'm not sure about vintag type traction tires, but there are radial traction tires available from Goodyear. I've also seen new 1 peice 19.5" rims from Rickson truck wheels, though they are somewhat expensive.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
i had a 48 1 ton I put 17.5 tubeless on the front axle can't remember were I found the wheels the tires were Hyway tread though not the traction you seek.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0