The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Millenimech, Shaffer's1950, Otto Skorzeny), 112 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,403
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#234999 05/31/2007 4:46 AM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Y
'Bolter
'Bolter
Y Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
I have rally wheels off 70-80's burb on my 53 3100 and I would like to find out if there are any other center caps that look better than the original "4x4" cap? I peeled the 4x4 decal off so theres a small hole in the center. I've seen some with mirrors or reflectors used to finish up the center cap . The original center caps are held on by 3 bolts. Any suggestions? Thanks, Phil

#235000 05/31/2007 5:59 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 213
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 213
I saw some stick on decals on ebay that would fit,they looked pretty nice. Some had Chevy crossed flags on them. I think they were in the rallye wheel section.
Joe


54 Triumph TR2(rhd)needs total resto.
60 Apache 10 stepside shortbed
99 Excelsior Henderson
#235001 06/01/2007 2:59 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
JC Whitney sells the caps without the 4x4 logos.


Bill Burmeister
#235002 06/01/2007 3:08 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I put the smaller '88 and up 4X4 center caps on mine. They attach with screws from the back, but I drilled through the cap and attached them from the front with stainless steel screws. I took the plastic nut covers from the newer model and set them over my stock (little) lug nuts and set the center caps over them to pinch them against the wheel and then tightened down the stainless screw. I think they look better with the smaller cap,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
#235003 06/01/2007 4:54 AM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
I have the car "top hats" as theyre called, on my 6 lug blazer wheels. I made some clips to hold them on,,,,if youd like,ill send you a pic of what i did.
Marty

#235004 06/01/2007 5:16 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
I just purchase a set of four Chevy bowtie Rally cap stickers on eBay for $12.00. They are the exact diameter and colors as the factory cap stickers. I have installed the factory 4x4 caps on a 2wd truck and put stainless steel inserts on the open caps from the back and installed the Bowtie stickers. They look great.

Bowtie Rally caps

Bowtie Stickers

JC Whitney Rally caps

#235005 06/01/2007 1:44 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
Summit Racing Equip.has several different center caps for ralley wheels.I have the ones with 3 bar spinners on my 55,with chrome Corvette Ralley wheels.

#235006 06/02/2007 12:37 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
This is what I'm running. http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2731701030092261295ROodmu
It's a center for a '94-'98 1/2 ton 4x4 with the screw on nut covers. How I did it is a little more involved than what others have done, as I'm running 1/2" studs instead of 7/17". I found the nuts, 7/8"hex with 1/2" threads, at a swap meet, just 1 vendor down from the caps. Unfortunatly, I didn't get the source of the nuts. It did require slight modification of the wheel, as the seat area for the nuts was a little small for that nut. I only had to re-machine the seat a little to increase the size, using a 60 degree 3 flute countersink bit. I know that y'all are thinking "What?!!, he replaced studs just to get the caps?!!". Actually, I'd already swapped out the studs, and had intended on a different wheel (6 lug 'Vette Ralley), but got a good deal on the Blazer Ralleys, the caps and nuts were just a lucky find. I had originally replaced the studs just simply because I've seen to many of the smaller studs break, namely due to overtightening, and I just prefer the extra strength of the 1/2" studs. Wasn't too hard to do, just cross referenced the knurl size from the OE to the thrad size I wanted. OK, I cheated. I have my own copies of both Napa and Dorman stud/nut catalogs, something the average 'Bolter won't have. But feel free to pick my brain if you need a stud/nut number, I'll look it up. Then you can watch the look on the face of the kid at the flaps when you just give him the part # instead of making him figure it out!


Bill Burmeister
#235007 06/03/2007 5:31 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 29
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 29
Here is one more for you I had the centers of mine opened up to 4.25 inches, this allows you to use a number of different aftermarket centers. If you interested go to my webshots old truck page and look at rims 1 and rims 2.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/556364786koxhKA


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0