The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
10 members (JW51, Gdads51, dt235sd, Gray_Ghost, Woodcmiami, Shaffer's1950, Nick in Manitou, 3 invisible), 71 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,131
Posts1,056,372
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
Any one have any pictures of how an under bed spare tire carrier mounts for an art deco truck?

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
What year and Chevy or GMC?


Country Roads, West (By God) Virginia
http://community.webshots.com/user/geezer
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
1939-1946 chevy or gmc... may be the same as far back as 1937. Also may have subtle differences through the years, so for the sake of accuracy...

1940 gmc.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
I
'Bolter
'Bolter
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
1/2 ton is a bit different from 3/4 ton.

Which do you have?

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
Greg, I got a 3/4 ton. Didn't realize there was a difference there. Just haven't seen enough to know.

John

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
I've got the part that mounts to the frame, but not the part that slides into the part that mounts to the frame that you mount the tire to.

Man, that was a long sentence!

I can take a pic if you'd like.

I'd be interested to see what the other piece looks like.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
Brendan,
I think I have that part too, but I am also very curious what all the other parts look like and how they go together to hold that spare tire under the bed.

I know... longer sentence! grin

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
I have one under my 54 chev. if that info would help email me and i will try to get some pics when i go home at noon. [email protected]


54 3100 w/62 235 "Yosemite Sam"
Born a Jay Hawk, raised an Okie and resurrected in Texas!http://community.webshots.com/user/djed50
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
Papa Ed,
Thanks for the pics, the setup on the 54 is not the same however.

Thanks again
John

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Same here Ed, I tried emailin' ya three times but it comes back undeliverable. Thanks a bunch.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 70
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 70
PappaEd or Bigbadswingdaddy,

I have a 53 and am having the same dilemma. I would love to see the pictures if you wouldn't mind emailing them my way. I'm starting to think the guy I bought it from sold me the wrong part.

Thanks a million,
Mainjet
[email protected]


1953 Chevy 1/2-Ton 3100 5-Window
1937 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1970 Chevelle
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
mainjet - i will email you the pics today. sorry i couldn't help you out denny and big swing. i work at a school and we have had problems with email bouncing. Don't want any of these middle school kids looking at the nasty truck pictures on the internet!!!!!!!!


54 3100 w/62 235 "Yosemite Sam"
Born a Jay Hawk, raised an Okie and resurrected in Texas!http://community.webshots.com/user/djed50
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Nope that's not what I meant Ed, I must have the Don Imis desease again. I recieved the pics and text fine they were great and I've added the information to my referance library.
My problem is I couldnt reply to your email address to THANK YA, that's what kept bouncing!
Thank ya,
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 507
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 507
John, If you would like them I will take some pictures of the one under my 41 1/2 ton for you this weekend.


"If it ain't Steel it ain't Real"
"Earth the insane aslyum for the rest of the Universe"
41 1/2-ton, a work in progress
68 Shortbed stepside 327/325hp/700R4
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 700
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 700
Hey guys, If you wouldn't mind would you also forward pics to me also. I'm still undecided as to mount the spare underneath the bed or on the side.

Don


My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery
My Photo Album


But I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy
The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it.
Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Sure would be nice if these were archived to something like Photobucket or WebShots etc. Then no body would have ta bug you guys bout sending them individual emails. Somethin' like broadcast communications, send it out once and everyone can recieve it.
Denny G


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
41 chevy, that would be Terrific!
Denny, great idea!
Thanks
John

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
Check with Whitney Haist of Orinda, CA in the Gallery. Has a beautiful restored 46 and a website, and I know he has the spare tire holder as I sold the parts to him many years back.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 223
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 223
Note that there are a couple different types of under bed carriers out there. I believe the change date is '51. My 50 does not have the type in fredoly's link. I have the one with a channel that allows the spare to slide down and out towards the rear. As with most folks I do not have all the parts as I understand they were kind of a pain to get the wheel back under there and therefore most spares got thrown in the bed and the hardware soon lost. I believe Jim Carter know sells repo set up for $250.00.


1950 Chevy 3100
261, 4 speed
Purchased 1977

1964 Pontiac Lemans Convert
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 223
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 223
Sorry, the cost is 290.00 and they list them as 41-50:

http://www.oldchevytrucks.biz/catalog1/00124.htm


1950 Chevy 3100
261, 4 speed
Purchased 1977

1964 Pontiac Lemans Convert
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
I
'Bolter
'Bolter
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
There's a good diagram in the online chevy manuals

Here's a 1/2 ton later model. I don't know what year this is but it has the wider cross bar that wasn't on the 40.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Thanks 40s, that's the kind of photo details that someone with a torch, a welder, a grinder and a little talent could use to fabricate a pretty good looking copy. Good enough to fool most people that care enough to bend over and look under the chassis.
This subject comes up so often it would be nice to see a compilation of the pictures archived somewhere. It appears for the most popular 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickups that there were really only a few different models of the under bed carrier, maybe a half dozen.
If a restorer is capable of replacing half the body I think this would be a piece of cake for him to fabricate.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
Thanks Greg!


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0