Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
3 members (tclederman, TUTS 59, 1 invisible),
127
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,279 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 | Just curious. What is the opinion of undercoating the fenders on my '41 which is currently under restoration? It will be a daily driver in Florida and hopefully points beyond. Any comments on this would be greatly appreciatied.
Thanks, My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery My Photo AlbumBut I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it. Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 180 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 180 | I am thinking I will be doing that on my 50 when it gets to that point. For everyday use, as long as it is apart already, I think it is a good idea to do it now to avoid stones flying up and making stars in the paint from the backside. It seems like a logical way to save a nice paint job. Plus, its a little bit of extra rust protection. Thats just my $.02
1950 Chevy 3100 5 window "in progress" 1967 Chevelle 300
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 | I was just speaking with a Line-X dealer and he said that his product would yield the same uniform texture and finish on the inside of the fenders as it does as a bedliner. Certainly a bit more expensive but....
Any comments regarding this tack? My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery My Photo AlbumBut I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it. Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Depends on a mans pocketbook AND the product you use. A local restoration shop does this to all of the cars he does. They even use some spray cans at times but it is NOT the $1.98 a can type stuff. If you do it use the good stuff. I recommend it even though I did not do it on my 37....but I certainly will on my panel....now that I can afford it!!! | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 180 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 180 | My thoughts exactly when my truck is finished is to have it Line-X'd. Probably do the insides of all 4 fenders and possibly even the inside of the box, and I may do a corrugated metal floor in it....not 100% sure on that yet though. Interesting that you would have that same idea Down2Sea.
1950 Chevy 3100 5 window "in progress" 1967 Chevelle 300
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | I think it looks like excretion on a restored vehicle. I like to paint it with semi-flat black paint. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 | Wrenchbender,
I kind of fiqured that I would get a response as to the excretionary look of this type of treatment, and I have to agree with you that if it was only for cosmetic reasons that I was considering it I would not do it.
My thoughts were that after all of the work put into getting a beautiful paint job it just seems a waste not to protect it from the flotsam and jetsam that is sure to be flung up by the tires. Those stars and dings that are sure to materialize may appear worse than excrement.
If I was just going to hanger this truck and trailer it to shows I would not even consider the undercoating idea. My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery My Photo AlbumBut I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it. Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 181 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 181 | My 65 came with factory undercoat on the inside of the fenders. It was a bear to get off but actually saved the old farm truck from rusting away. Areas that didn't get it were rusted out. I repainted it all with Rustoleum Satin Black. Looks better smooth. I tried the Duplicolor Roll-on bedliner for the floor in the cab of my Redneck Hummer (1988 Chopped and lifted Suburban). I wasn't real impressed with that. Might as well have painted it with Rustoleum paint. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 275 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 275 | I would say it's a must to under coat your fenders. if you don't do it you will get stars in your paint from the tires kicking up stones.
38 original 48 panel 59 stepside 46 in the back forty
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 223 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 223 | Don't know about the '41, but the AD assembly manual shows the trucks were undercoated at the factory. I have heard folks say that if not applied properly it can trap and hold water causing its own damage. I do know that certain parts of my '50 still had undercoating on them and in those spots was factory paint underneath it, where it had fallen off or been removed, it was rust and pitting. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 439 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 439 | On my '53, the inner fenders are just painted endura gloss black. The inside of the actual fenders will also be painted with endura, but boxliner over that to prevent the 'stars'. You won't be able to see much of the fenders unless you get down and look real hard so cosmetically it's not an issue.
Good Luck. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 738 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 738 | I was thinking about doing something similar in the fenders of my 61 when I paint it this summer. I won't be able to afford line-x or anything but I am gonna figure something out.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton My Machine | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 564 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 564 | The inner fenders on my '54 Buick are undercoated from the factory...where it's fallen off, you see the most perfectly preserved semi-gloss black paint. The inner fenders on my '62 Suburban were also undercoated, and the California Forrestry Green is visible through it.
I have a set of clean, rust-free inner fenders for the truck, and am going to bead blast them and take them to the LineX dealer and see what it will cost to coat them when he does someone else's bed. My thinking on this is two-fold: it will protect the paint on the engine-bay side of the fenders, and it will act as very nice sound deadener, absorbing vibrations. When the truck is done, I'll probably have sound deadener/under coating on the full floors and inside the rear fenders as well.
Brad SOUTHERN FALL GABfestOctober 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia Details here!Never Pee on an Electric Fence. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 339 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 339 | My truck got semi-gloss black under the fenders then sprayed with a full coat of 3-M rubberized undercoating.(lg. spray can) Then in 30 days I give it another heavier coat...The cab got undercoating that comes in a 5 gal. pail, brushed on using a 6 inch brush...Not only does it protect the fenders from pecks, it offers much sound-proofing...BB | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 62 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 62 | I say fight the rust any chance you get, do what your pocket book will let ya, -Bill bevins, was that 5 gal. pail 3m product too? easy to find?
I see a GM truck in your future!
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 | When I spoke to the Line-X guy today he said that the charges are normally figured by the square foot coverage. Since that might be somewhat difficult to figure he said that his applicator has a "clicker" on it that acts as a meter (so to speak). His ball park estimate was less than $100 per fender - Ouch! It is expensive but I've got this stuff in the back of my F-250 SD and its great. I would expect that it would last the second lifetime of the '41.
He said the the fenders should be fully painted prior to applying the Line-X and that the insides should be etched primed.
Thanks and keep the ideas and comments coming. My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery My Photo AlbumBut I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it. Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 339 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 339 | Truckstein, I don't think it was a 3-M product. I got it at the local hardware, but 3-M did make a brush on U/C because I always had it on hand at the body shop... Bill B. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 62 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 62 | Thanks Bill, my refrigeration instructor at the local tech school was Jim Bevins, probably not related though huh, he drove a classic f**D something or other. I am going to get my hands on 3-m stuff if i can find/afford it when time comes. How I hate Rust :mad:
I see a GM truck in your future!
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 | Okay guys, I told my bodyshop guy today to complete the fenders except just leave the underparts etched primed. I'm going with Line-X. I'll take pictures and let you know how it all works out.
Don My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery My Photo AlbumBut I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it. Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 275 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 275 | Down2sea the pictures of your truck looks great. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
38 original 48 panel 59 stepside 46 in the back forty
| | |
| |