| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,255 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2003 Posts: 108 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2003 Posts: 108 | It's time to install my deluxe fresh air heater in my '53. Problem is, I want an original-type set up, but I'm lacking the original valve (the Ranco hot-water flow valve that mounts on the firewall and is controlled by means of the "warmer" knob under dash). I don't have the time or the money to find a good core and have it rebuilt. What I was thinking was I could build me a flow-control setup fairly easily: an in-line brass shut-off valve (the kind with a big knob, so I could just reduce the flow rate) with a couple of 5/8" o.d. nipples for the heater hose. I could even mount it on the firewall and probably rig up the original style "warmer" knob to operate it. I know that this lacks the thermostat feature, but it would at least give me the flow-control feature. Any thoughts? Will the hardware-store brass valve handle the heat of the coolant? Anyone tried this out? Thanks. Tyler | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | Get a Mopar water valve, mount it in your heater hose and hook a choke cable up to it. Done, Scott | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | If your coolant gets hot enough to melt brass you have more problems than just a heater valve.
Yes a brass valve will work and you could probably figure a way to control it with your "Warmer" knob. Try it and let us know. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 | On my new truck (the 53 3100) the PO used a shutoff valve for home plumbing. This is tied to the firewall with plastic straps. I guess he figured that the coolant water wouldn't get much hotter than out of a hot water heater. Or that is what he had in the garage at the time.
Looks funky.
Dennis -there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | TYLER,look at my post under we b old. ron
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 63 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 63 | Tyler, it'll work. I put a plastic cable controlled one (on/off valve) on my 51 3600 with a 350 in it and it never messed up (got it from NAPA) and I just put on on my 54 3600 with the 235 and it works perfect. Good luck. | | |
| |
| |