Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,129 Posts1,056,700 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 | Where there aftermarket dually kits available for light duty trucks? I have a '46 3/4ton that came with an extra two wheels and extensions to make the truck into a rear, dual tire set up. The truck runs on stock 7x15 split rims.
I have never seen any information on them being an accessory or even notes in my manuals. Can somebody explain this?
I also need to replace the tires at some point. What would be a modern substitute size for the current 7x15 8 ply I'm using? | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | There were several companies that made those type conversions, also ther was a dual wheel factory option on 3/4 ton too, but that would have had standard dually wheels and no adapter for the rear. In a 15", the closest would probably be a 215/75/15 or 225/75/15, but they are not being made in an 8 ply equivelant, 6 ply is the closest that is currently made. If you don't mind loosing a little originality, I'd suggest going to a 1 peice 16", preferrably for an early '80s 4x4, and a 215/85/16 E load range (10 ply).
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | I think J.C. Whitney still sells those kits, Scott | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 | LONGBOX55,
Does the early 80's trucks have the same 8 bolt pattern and hub size? The dually adaptor I have is in good shape. Would using them put any stresses on the axle?
The dually setup would need new lugs though. It looks like it was a 12" lug nut with a threaded end. You use those to put the inner wheel on, slide the adaptor over the lugs, put the outer tire on, and then use the original lug nuts on the outer tire. The big lugs are half shot, any idea where one would find such an animal? I'm not sure I'd use them anyway since they'ld stick outside the stakebed. It would look kind of commical. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | J.C. Whitney still has those kits, and they do list them for back to '45 on Chevy. The bolt pattern is the same, might be some issue with the center bore, but I think that it's minimal and can be addressed with a die grinder. I think that replacement nuts can be purchased from Whitney,too. I wouldn't worry about stressing the axle, those full-floaters are really tough.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 | Yeah, J.C.Whitney has the kits available. Thanks for the info.
Kyle | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | You're welcome, LOL, Scott | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 56 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 56 | He's right, axle stress can break the adapte | | |
| |