The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (3B, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51), 165 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,091
Posts1,056,387
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
chevy


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Neither. Both are IMHO ugly.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
I think my 05 Chevy is nicer looking than either of these...

but, i'd take the GMC if you gave me one.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,725
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,725
I'm with Oldblu -- both are ugly and boring. And if you squint your eyes just a little at the GMC, it becomes a Ford. Woo hoo.

How are they technologically and m,echanically? Can they beat the Ford in pulling power and toughness? Sure hope so 'cause they're big losers in the styling department. Although, you have to admit, they are an improvement over the 2001-2006 trucks -- those things are hideous.

grin
John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
get a stude


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
They still make those?


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 125
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 125
It's a toss up, neither will win a styling contest IMNSHO. And my 49 still looks way better.


Jim Blake
Help support the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (www.lls.org) through Team in Training (www.teamintraining.org). Help put a stop to ALL cancers.

My truck: '49 3800 Stakebed/Dump
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
The more I look at them, the more I like them. Of course, when they actually hit the streets, they'll probably look different to me. After a few years on the streets, I'm suspecting the looks will be adjusted slightly. I'll have to disagree with you, on the part about the Ford trucks being tougher, & better powered John. I work for a company that has over 1200 vehicles, in its fleet, & the Fords, have given far more trouble, than the Dodges, & G.M. Trucks, in the Fleet. We had a Ford engineer, tell us that actually the only reason Ford had been a better seller than G.M. , & Dodge, is because they built slightly more trucks, than the others. When it comes to Truck toughness, & longevity, you can't deny Chevrolet, & GMC, are head, & shoulders, above the rest. Alot more 40, 50, & 60 year old G.M. trucks around, than there is Dodge, & Ford trucks.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 79
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 79
i like the gmc better but there still to much plastic on it and i tought stude stop makeing trucks in the 60s


1955 Chevrolet 3100 2nd
1954 International Harvester R-110

My Webshots Pictures
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
I like the looks of the Chevy, but personally, I'm sticking with my 'Bolt. Its been around a lot longer than those ever will be. Just my $0.02

Drew

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
GM still makes trucks?

-W

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 273
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 273
I think they're both ugly. Even my '99 GMC doesn't look too good. The 73 -87s look way better, and the 67 -72s look better still.
Anything older can't be matched.



Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
They don't make real trucks anymore. They are pieces of plastic hung together. They are not work trucks. I don't think these trucks would stand up to the abuse the older trucks took when they were still made out of steel and they are way over priced I don't know who can afford to buy them.


38 original
48 panel
59 stepside
46 in the back forty
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,417
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,417
From the photos, I would vote for the GMC. It might be different if I see them both side by side. Although, I like the '06 GMC's better than the Chevys also.
It used to be, that the GMC's always looked ugly to me compared to the Chevys, now it's the other way around.
At least that's the way I see it.

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 305
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 305
who can afford one and the gas to go in it.both are way over priced and ugly


ya I know a few rednecks.Thay all drive chevys to,
Proud member of the Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
AND A MARINE
trucks range from 1942 1/2 ton to 1965 fire engine
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
Just make sure you get the diesel and allison tranny. I like the GMC best.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 382
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 382
If I was being given one, either would be ok. If I was to buy, probably neither. It's hard to say, though. I didn't care for the '99-'06 Chevy/GMC fullsize when they first came out & now I drive an '02 Z/71 Xcab Silverado. Think sometimes it has to do with what you are exposed to, meaning that the more you see something, it tends to grow on ya.


1948 Chevrolet 1-Ton Grain Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery SOLD
More pix in Photobucket

"A Man & His Truck--It's a Beautiful Thing!"

"You're never 100% ready, you're just next"....Ty Murray
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
Both are beautiful but my vote is for the GMC because of the grille. The Chevy grille center strip looks the same on every vehicle they make these days and almost identical to Chrysler. Why can't GM understand that they need to make vehicles that look like the old ones to sell and quit trying to grab onto the shirttails of the other 2? Can you imagine the excitement if they made a truck exactly like the 40s or 50's with modern a drivetrain and suspension!? Or a Camaro that looks exactly like a 69. They wouldn;t be able to produce them fast enough. The HHR is a copy of a PT crusier; shame on GM. The SSR initially had my pulse pounding but ended up being another Corvette with a stupid phony bed and ridiculous price. Instead of looking cool, you look stupid driving one of those jokes.


Mike Barnes
1950 GMC 1-ton pickup
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 60
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 60
After reading all the replys I think it's obvious that we would all rather have Old Iron before the new tin / plastic they call trucks now a days. All the new trucks look the same to me and I can't work on them anyways. as far as looks go, I prefer the Chevy but that just me.


Gary,
Kelly, and Family
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Glad to see they got away from those wedge shaped headlights they had for the last couple years. Reminded me of a '61 Buick Invicta or some such thing.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 49
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 49
both are ugly,chevys a little better.the base colorados that napa uses now with the parking lights in the hood are unbelieveably ugly.


64 c10
89 rs
62 econoline
50 ford coupe
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
1959 or 1957 task force - best looking. wink

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 382
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 382
Exactly!!! smile


1948 Chevrolet 1-Ton Grain Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery SOLD
More pix in Photobucket

"A Man & His Truck--It's a Beautiful Thing!"

"You're never 100% ready, you're just next"....Ty Murray

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0