The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, Gray_Ghost, TooMany2count), 68 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,712
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,089
P
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,089
Got another Tech Tip done from Builder. We called it Preserving your Bolt\'s history . There is definitely some cool (and historically significant) stuff out there.

Anyone recognize that old Chevy picture? It was one I had in my "what is this" folder. So ... this looked like a good place to put it. Surely, that is someone famous in there.

Yes?
No?

Peg


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"Success comes in 'cans' ..."
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
Great info Peg. I remember a 65 VW I bought one time. It was used for part storage. I bought it as is parts and all. Wow what a find, not the car but the parts. It had a complete engine carbs.,and all for a 1956 porsche sitting inside on the floor pan. Hell the core on the carb's alone was $700.00 each. I paid $50.00 for the car.


I didn't do it, no one saw me do it, you can't prove anything! "Bart Simpson"
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
Thanks for posting the Tech Tip Peg. I realize that most of us find a vehicle and just want to drive it or fix it up, and most don't have historical signifigance that can determine values. You should at least be prepared. The Tech Tip was prompted by the "Hughes" truck that was posted and most of what is in the Tech Tip is from my "Barn Find" Corvettes research. These things definitely hold true to other vehicles too.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,258
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,258
Great tip, Steve!! As most know, I play with old Schwinn bikes. I only restore them when they absolutely can't be saved. I always get a lot of email asking me about how to restore or paint an old bike. I usually start by telling them "It's only original once!" Once you loose that factory finish, it is gone forever!!

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 156
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 156
Thats a great tip Steve and even good for any old item.


"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of
us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"

Lt Gen. Lewis B."Chesty" Puller, USMC
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,729
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,729
Yes, how very true. Amazing what some well-meaning, but uneducated people will do to important artifacts -- especially old vehicles.

Also, that's why there seems to be some interest in "Preservation" classes at some better truck shows -- what an excellent way to showcase what a truly "Original" truck looks like.

I had a conversation along those lines with a guy at the ATHS National show in Baltimore a couple of weeks ago. He tried to tell me his truck was "Original." It had modern polished aluminum Budd rims and radials, not to mention chrome stacks and rear fenders (oh yeah, don't forget the LED taillights).

Excellent point to just stop, think and document before ripping into things and tearing apart.

Sometimes, "Preservation" is a better route than "Restoration."

my $0.02

John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
The word "restored" has been out of context by many for as long as I have known or figured it out.

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 12
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 12
I learn more about my truck everytime I talk to my grandpa, I feel fortunate that my Grandpa was into the history of his trucks as much as I am

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,445
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,445
I found some letters painted on my bed as I was sanding off the 10 layers of paint.. couldnt make it out tho... sure would have been interesting to see what it said.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
Quote
Originally posted by Matts1918:
I learn more about my truck everytime I talk to my grandpa, I feel fortunate that my Grandpa was into the history of his trucks as much as I am
If your grandpa is anything like MY grandpa, then he lived -- and drove them -- for most, if not all that history.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0