Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,129 Posts1,056,693 Members48,452 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 5,089 Authorized Pest | | Authorized Pest Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 5,089 | Got another Tech Tip done from Builder. We called it Preserving your Bolt\'s history . There is definitely some cool (and historically significant) stuff out there. Anyone recognize that old Chevy picture? It was one I had in my "what is this" folder. So ... this looked like a good place to put it. Surely, that is someone famous in there. Yes? No? Peg
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804"Charlie" - The Stovebolt FlagshipIn the Gallery"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill | | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 687 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 687 | Great info Peg. I remember a 65 VW I bought one time. It was used for part storage. I bought it as is parts and all. Wow what a find, not the car but the parts. It had a complete engine carbs.,and all for a 1956 porsche sitting inside on the floor pan. Hell the core on the carb's alone was $700.00 each. I paid $50.00 for the car.
I didn't do it, no one saw me do it, you can't prove anything! "Bart Simpson" | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 | Thanks for posting the Tech Tip Peg. I realize that most of us find a vehicle and just want to drive it or fix it up, and most don't have historical signifigance that can determine values. You should at least be prepared. The Tech Tip was prompted by the "Hughes" truck that was posted and most of what is in the Tech Tip is from my "Barn Find" Corvettes research. These things definitely hold true to other vehicles too. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,258 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,258 | Great tip, Steve!! As most know, I play with old Schwinn bikes. I only restore them when they absolutely can't be saved. I always get a lot of email asking me about how to restore or paint an old bike. I usually start by telling them "It's only original once!" Once you loose that factory finish, it is gone forever!! | | | | | Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 156 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 156 | Thats a great tip Steve and even good for any old item.
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
Lt Gen. Lewis B."Chesty" Puller, USMC | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,729 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,729 | Yes, how very true. Amazing what some well-meaning, but uneducated people will do to important artifacts -- especially old vehicles.
Also, that's why there seems to be some interest in "Preservation" classes at some better truck shows -- what an excellent way to showcase what a truly "Original" truck looks like.
I had a conversation along those lines with a guy at the ATHS National show in Baltimore a couple of weeks ago. He tried to tell me his truck was "Original." It had modern polished aluminum Budd rims and radials, not to mention chrome stacks and rear fenders (oh yeah, don't forget the LED taillights).
Excellent point to just stop, think and document before ripping into things and tearing apart.
Sometimes, "Preservation" is a better route than "Restoration."
my $0.02
John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 | The word "restored" has been out of context by many for as long as I have known or figured it out. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 12 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 12 | I learn more about my truck everytime I talk to my grandpa, I feel fortunate that my Grandpa was into the history of his trucks as much as I am | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,445 Moderator - The Electrical Bay | | Moderator - The Electrical Bay Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,445 | I found some letters painted on my bed as I was sanding off the 10 layers of paint.. couldnt make it out tho... sure would have been interesting to see what it said.
Another quality post. Real Trucks Rattle HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 | Originally posted by Matts1918: I learn more about my truck everytime I talk to my grandpa, I feel fortunate that my Grandpa was into the history of his trucks as much as I am If your grandpa is anything like MY grandpa, then he lived -- and drove them -- for most, if not all that history. | | |
| |