The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (TUTS 59, Mather, KEVINSKI, DBJ71SuperCustom, Gray_Ghost, Lightholder's Dad, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible), 132 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,080
Posts1,056,291
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 38
W
New Guy
New Guy
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 38
Stupid question I know, but I am just looking for an approximate so I can figure out what size truck I need to tow it from place to place safely.

1961 C-20, 2x4, Long wheel base I think.


"Remember Who You Are And What You Represent"

"Being responsible sometimes means [censored] people off"
- General Colin Powell
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Figure on about 3900-4200 lbs. depending on what bed it has and what other equipment (4-speed,V-8, etc.). Also factor in other thing suchas extra parts that may be included with it. You may consider renting a trailer from U-Haul if you don't have one already, their prices are reasonable. I towed my '55 home frome Geogia with a U-Haul trailer and an '88 3/4 ton K-2500, did fine.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 323
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 323
There is a thread in the Greasy Spoon called, "wanna know what your vehicle weighs".... grin

I hope it helps. Beware...several methods are non-conventional eek

MexicoSab wink


Sabrina
'54 3100

Now cruising in the Passing Lane

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
I had a 66 once and it was 4400 lb's ,it was 3/4 ton long box ,fleet side. my 53 1/2 ton short stepside box weighs 3400 lbs. Much better mileage, lol.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Once loaded take it to a truck stop and get it "officially" weighed. Should be plenty of place's around your area.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
But if he wants to know what it weighs so that he can select a truck to pull it, why would he weigh it after it was loaded?

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 38
W
New Guy
New Guy
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 38
Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate it. I read the thread in the greasy spoon, good stuff, I was looking more along the lines of being able to get a tow dolly from u-haul as a buddy of mine offered to help tow it from the storage unit it is sitting in, back to my home so I can start getting the engine pulled and serviced. I would do it all at the storage unit, but it is 3 hours away.

Is there any difference between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton in the body dimensions, width wise on my '61? U-haul online is telling me that I can't pull a 3/4 ton, but I CAN pull a 1/2 ton. If I trick the system and tell them it's a 1/2 ton, I'm good to go. Thanks again.

- Will


"Remember Who You Are And What You Represent"

"Being responsible sometimes means [censored] people off"
- General Colin Powell
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
According to the restoration package that I ordered from Chevrolet, a 60-66 1/2 ton is 78 3/4 inches wide at the door handles. And a 3/4 ton is also 78 3/4 inches wide at the door handles. The 3/4 ton is going to weigh more than a 1/2 ton because the entire chassis is built with sturdier metal and bigger components to handle the extra weight it can carry. 3/4 ton trucks from that only came with an 8 foot box. Only the 1/2 tons could have the 6 1/2 foot or 8 foot box.

Drew

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Baldy, I didn't mean for him to weigh it "loaded". It sounds like he has to "load" it up to tow it to place to place. Here in the south its interpreted as load it up, take it to the scales and unload and weigh it. grin


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
What I meant was that if he has it loaded up, he obviously already has a tow vehicle and has no need to know what it weighs in order to select a tow vehicle, capiche?

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
capiche :p


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 345
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 345
If you just get it runnin'--and stoppin', you won't need to tow it at all! It's way simpler that way.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 196
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 196
4 bathroom scales. grin


66 C10 FS/LB 292/4-spd manual (I also enjoy Hang Gliding)
I'm too sexy for my hair, that's why it isn't there
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
Take it to a truck stop and weigh it,then you will know for sure.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0