The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Tronman, Gray_Ghost), 85 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,476
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#207568 05/10/2006 11:20 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 10
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 10
Hello Stovebolters! New guy here. Posted in the wanted ads a few days ago but now that I have found my truck I wanted to post a little intro.

My name is Jim and Im a caraholic. Without the gory details I found myself sans truck when I sold my newer S10 recently. I no longer needed a truck for daily use but I do need to tow my little autocross car locally and occasionally pick up something bigger than a breadbox at the home depot. I have had classic chevys before (a 64, 65 and a 67) and wanted another. I was hoping to go older than my previous forays and hoping to get something with a modern drivetrain to make it usable.

Tonight I made the deal on a 49 with a 350 transplant, auto trans, power steering and disk brakes and 3.08 rear. Just about perfect. She is something of a 50 footer right now. The body is solid but the paintjob was done poorly and there are some tweaks I would like to do to the body before I respray her. But she is so very cool and I love her already.

And now the obligitory photos.
one

two

The reason we ask for a LINK to a picture (rather than posting the image itself):

1) it affects our bandwidth (which is costly)
2) it makes the page download slower (which really affects people on dial-up, and we've got a lot of them)
3) some European users have to "pay by the byte" (and we don't want to do that to them ... especially after they've seen the image once already!)

And a side benefit -- you can post a link to as big a picture as you like and it won't affect the rest of the posts in that thread!

Thanks and welcome to the Stovebolt Collective!

Peg

#207569 05/10/2006 11:40 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
Very nice! I like the low key styling, very sleeper. It is pretty cool that all of the transplant is done already. Gonna keep it white? Enjoy.

Kyle


"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton

My Machine
#207570 05/10/2006 11:46 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 10
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 10
I will probably take the styling even more low key and classic looking by the time Im done.

Its white for a reason...it hides flaws. I will probably spend a few too many hours redoing the bodywork (seems me and the PO have differing opinions on what "minimal" filler means) and then repaint. Probably to match my little race monster in a deep grey metallic, maybe with black fenders. That part of the plan is still a bit up in the air.

I am happy the conversion is done, my goal was either cosmetically perfect with mechanical issues or mechanically right with cosmetic issues. All things considered Im glad the mechanicals are done, keeps it driveable, I find I loose my enthusiasm with too much down time off the road. Although there are some bits I will redo there as well. Such as disk brakes but no power, still alot of pedal travel between moving and stopped. And other little issues but overall its mechanically sound.

#207571 05/11/2006 12:33 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 427
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 427
My head is spinning with ideas of what I would do with it. Awesome find!

Have fun with it.


1950 Chevy p\u 3100. lt1 Corvette powered.
Owner\ autoglass unlimited/Ultra Clear Body Shield
Cowboys creo: taste your words before you spit them out
http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa180/getm24_2000/
#207572 05/11/2006 12:44 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,081
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,081
Jim,

Hope you don't mind but I'm gonna swip these to put in the Gallery -- for Monday.

Peg


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
#207573 05/11/2006 1:13 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 10
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 10
Please, swipe away, and sorry for the direct photo post instead of the link....I should have paid more attention when going over the TOS. frown

#207574 05/11/2006 1:28 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 355
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 355
Congratulations on your new truck and welcome to the Bolt! smile


~ Kimberly
My '54 ... and my '63 and a '59 F100
#207575 05/11/2006 1:45 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
Welcome to the bolt!

(Nice truck, BTW)


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
#207576 05/11/2006 2:38 AM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 310
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 310
Welcome you're in good company here, we have nothing but truckaholics here.

#207577 05/11/2006 3:12 AM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 549
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 549
50 footers are good... grin

nice truck..

#207578 05/12/2006 1:49 AM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 181
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 181
Welcome. Nice truck, especially on the east coast. I think I saw that truck last fall in NC. Is the interior gray? The one I saw was a fifty footer too, but still nice.


1965 Chevy C-10 Longbed Stepside
In the Gallery
#207579 05/12/2006 6:23 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 507
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 507
Jim, welcome to the bolt. Nice truck look forward to updates.


"If it ain't Steel it ain't Real"
"Earth the insane aslyum for the rest of the Universe"
41 1/2-ton, a work in progress
68 Shortbed stepside 327/325hp/700R4
#207580 05/12/2006 12:22 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
Quote
Originally posted by Jim Thwaite:
Please, swipe away, and sorry for the direct photo post instead of the link....I should have paid more attention when going over the TOS. frown
no harm, no foul.

Welcome...

neat truck.

-W

#207581 05/12/2006 1:54 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 66
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 66
Jim, nice find. I spoke with you on the phone the other night, i'm glad you found a new toy.Let me know if you are attending any local events and maybe i will see you there..............Dale


1939 GMC
1953 HD PANHEAD
1930 Chevy 3 window coupe
#207582 05/12/2006 1:59 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 10
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 10
I will definitely let you know. I really dont even know what local events there are yet so if you know of any please let me know. South Jersey is best for me right now, have to gain some confidence in her before we head out for any distance.

#207583 05/12/2006 2:29 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,081
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,081
Well James, my man. You can come on down to the Stovebolt Meet-and-Greet at the ATHS 2006 Truck Show in Baltimore. Check the Events forum here for more discussion of it.

And check the Events section to see what else may be going on in our neck of the woods. You are somewhat in *our* neck of the woods -- the East Coast!!

Peggy M


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
#207584 05/12/2006 6:25 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 10
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 10
You know, that is a fine idea were I going to be around for it. Baltimore is only an hour and a half from here, and I head down there at least once a month. Unfortunately that weekend I will be trying to survive the BABE rally. If you havent heard of this insanity yet check it out here: www.baberally.com

Essentially me and my 3 teamates will be attempting to pilot a vehicle from NYC to New Orleans in 4 days. No big deal you say...oh, the rules state the vehicle had to be bought for $250 or less. We have a craptastic 82 Chevy G20 conversion van that we got for $200. We have packed our duct tape, zip ties and AAA cards and we are hoping for the best.

#207585 05/15/2006 5:27 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 112
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 112
that babe rally sounds crazy man,good luck on that,good look'n truck!


1949 Styleline Special
1972 K5 Blazer
#207586 05/15/2006 6:16 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,081
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,081
Jim,

I've got all your info now. So, you'll be #10 in today's Gallery additions. I'm just starting on your's now.

And as Woog said, "no foul." Too bad you can't make it to Baltimore. Looks like it'll be a fun crew coming. I'm gonna see if I can scrounge some trinkets for those who show up!

Thanks,
Peg


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0