The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (CandoBrent, Opelika Tom, Otto Skorzeny, TS3600, fonz8261, cmayna), 99 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,077
Posts1,056,281
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#207199 05/06/2006 6:45 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
A '62 C10 just came into a junkyard I frequent. The engine, trans, radiator and grille are gone, but it was a well-optioned truck:
Chrome front and rear bumpers, front bumper gaurds, all the side aluminum trim, day/night mirror, dual sunvisors, full horn ring (though pitted). Manual brakes, and I didn't think to check to see if there were hoses going to the steering box, but don't remember seeing any.
Driveline was v8, with an auto trans (both gone).
What surprised me is the factory windshield washer set-up and auto trans.

It still has the auto trans column, but there is no shift indicator--nor can I tell where there was one. Where were these, and what did they look like? (anything like a '62 car?)
It also has the full windshield washer system.
I'll be going back to pick some pieces for my '62 Suburban. (day/night mirrir, washer set-up, headlight switch, park brake cables, maybe the radiator core support panel, etc.)
Just curious how rare the washer set-up is, and the auto trans column. All the linkage is gone, but the column is still there.
There is also an arm rest on the driver's door, and it looks factory. Were there arm rests available? The passenger door was never drilled for one.
-Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
Damned if I know, but I don't have any of that stuff on mine excep the visors.

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
Brad, here is a list of "custom features" avaiable for your Burb. Air conditioning,Radio and antenna, Glove compartment light, Cigarette lighter, Accelerator pedal cover, Arm rest, Right and left hand deluxe outside rearview mirror, inside day/night rear view mirror, bumpergaurds, chromed or painted, Ventshades, Right hand sunvisor, Electric clock, Windshield washer, Recirculating heater and defroster, Matched horn, Emergency tool kit, Power brake. Those are all listed and illustrated in in "1962 Custom Features for Chevy Trucks" booklet copyrighted by G.M. in 1961 for the 62 model year. I have another booklet by chevy that also talks about other options available that year. The most interesting option was that the 261 was now available at extra cost for the burb, and light duty pick-ups. Other options included the Custom comfort option which included 6" foam fubber seat cushion with special cloth and vinyl trim...special cab insulation...left hand arm rest...outside key lock on right hand door...right hand sunshade and chrome cigar lighter. Then there is the Custom chrome option which included chrome plated bumpers and chrome hubcaps. The Custom Appearance option came with a bright metal grill assembly, windshield reveal molding and upper rear quarter panel trim plates...special steering wheel with chrome horn ring and bright metal instrument panel details... 2-tone door sidewall panels and dispatch box door. Another one was the Custom side molding(pick-ups only). Lastly, the drivetrain options included the 261 or 283 w an 11" heavy duty clutch. The 4speed tranny (SM420) was an option as was a positraction rear end. I'm sure there were some I didn't mention but there is a start.


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
In addition to what I've listed, this truck had the two-tone door panels, windshield reveal molding, chrome dash knobs, and outside key lock on the right hand door. I didn't even think about that as I was looking at the door handle, but something looked strange to me.
I might grab that...I think it's kinda cool that the passenger side door handle doesn't have a key, but I also don't like that I can't open the door for my wife.
That may be the best reply I've gotten to a question on this forum! Thanks
-Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
I forgot about the automatic powerglide tranny. That was an option in the C-10 and C-20.


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
I had to look up the gear indicator for the auto tranny in my shop manual. It is illustrated as a dial and a pointer that are located on the wide end of the steering column right in front of the steering wheel. Shifting the lever simultaneously moves the pointer across the dial. The dial and the pointer are on top of the column of course so you're looking right down at them while you're driving. My answers are simply quoting the books I have. I'm glad it helps.


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 158
I think I have the steering column for an automatic '62 truck. If I get out to the garage tomorrow I'll take a pic of it.

Brian

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 167
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 167
Brad,
That truck DOES have alot of options. What guage cluster does it have in the dash? Is it the idiot light setup, the the one with the temp gueag, the 6 guage setup, or the 6 guage setup with tach?

The easiest way to tell a automatic coumn from a 3 on the tree column is there is a "pointer" or bump ontop of the column. If it does have a pointer, it's an automatic, if not it's a standard trans column.

If the bench seat is still in the truck, check for the option sheet, this will have ALL of the options that came on the truck from the factory.
David


My truck don't leak oil, it just marks its teritory.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0