The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jon G, Guitplayer, Wally / Montana), 123 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#198447 07/01/2006 3:49 AM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 113
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 113
Over the years I've rented & borrowed dollies and trailers, and even chained a few. I finally got tired of all that and bought a 16' auto trailer. It ain't fancy, but I've yanked quite a few cars with it!

Drew - I can go ya one better. I recently moved my brother's '53 Stude PU (about 35 miles). When I pulled in he looked her over and asked, "You didn't tie down the cab?"
"No" I said, "Why should I?"
"Because it isn't bolted to the frame!"

Poo!


Everything is different now...
#198448 07/02/2006 4:23 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
I dragged The Ox 900+ miles on a uhaul car trailer behind a 77 Chevy Camper Special, 454 got 10 mpg going up and 7.5 mpg coming back.

I dragged The Coupe home on a uhaul car trailer behind my 02 Chevy 1500 from Sierra Vista, AZ to Oceanside.

My father dragged The Binder in behind his 69 1/2 ton on his car trailer...


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
#198449 07/02/2006 5:18 AM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
I flew out to Missouri from Atlanta, and drove my $2,000 '62 Suburban home. The guy said it would make it, and it did! I brought along a complete set of tools, a spare fuel pump, etc. Got there, changed plugs, made new wires (it had been converted to HEI and alternator already), stopped at Wal-Mart and had four new tires put on, stopped at Jiffy Lube and had all the fluids changed, and hit the back roads for about 1,000 miles home.
Did it with my 10 year old boy.

For other things, I have a heavy tandem axle trailer I practically stole a few years ago--$300, weighs 1820 pounds. Great trailer, but it needs four new tires, new wiring and it never did have trailer brakes that worked.
One of these days, I'll sand blast it, re-do all the wiring, paint it, and have a really good trailer again.
But there's a long to-do list ahead of it!

-Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.
#198450 07/02/2006 12:05 PM
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 285
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 285
Drove my '56 home, BUT, also have a Big Tex 18' Auto Hauler that I pull behind an '05 F150 crew cab. Haven't hauled Dusty much--he likes to roll on his own! grin

#198451 07/02/2006 1:55 PM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 191
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 191
I've got a 95 F-350 dually with a Powerstroke diesel and a 5 speed and pull either a 16 ft. bumper hitch or 20 ft gooseneck. Sure beats the 93 half ton I used to pull with. Pulled my wifes Jeep on the bumper hitch trailer all the way to western Ky and back, couldn't hardly tell it was there. Hauled in a Case loader on with the gooseneck this spring, could tell it was there but still pulled easy.

#198452 07/03/2006 2:10 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
Fly to where it is. Buy some cheap throw away tools, get a rental car, work on it for a few days, get new tires and get it road worthy and drive it home.

#198453 08/26/2006 12:58 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 140
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 140
my 48 wrecker was brought home on a F-450 rollback


Now boltless but looking
1951 F-1 350/350
1965 Mustang 355 glide
1971 F-100 401 fe it hates me
1972 Maverick 302 c4
#198454 08/26/2006 8:43 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 279
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 279
I use my 1982 chevy c-20/18 ft flatbed trailer combo.


Gangster whites and straight pipes.....
#198455 08/28/2006 7:49 PM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 144
T
Ter Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 144
Interestng posts.
In the "old days" (for me that was in the 70's)I used a 1951 chev 1/2 ton stock except for 261 and 4 speed. I had a 20 ft. long utility flatdeck tandem with electric braks.
Worked good for then but not tooo much power on hills.
Then, same trailer with newer70's Jeep Wagoneer with Buick 350.
Latest system is to rent a U Haul trailer ( my old trailer got stolen) and a Dodge Ramcharger.
Works great but 318 bit weak on hills.
Ter

#198456 08/30/2006 5:57 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 190
W
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 190
86 C30 Crew Cab Wrecker with Centery wheel lift, but used a dual axle car trailer and comealong the 37 1/2 ton onto.
http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/carr_debra_1937.html


1937 Chevy 1/2-Ton
In the Gallery
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0