The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (tclederman, Wheelie, Woodcmiami, Bill Hanlon), 112 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
When I got my 72 fleetside I noticed that it had auxilliary tanks on it that are fueled through doors on the sides of the bed. So I decided that would be kind of handy to have on a long trip, or as a reserve. As I slid the bed back to fix the cab corners I noticed they had that hard plastic line done with flare fittings. Now that plastic line was very brittle and just snapped in my hand. Nice fire hazard sez I. The tanks are nicely made, 14 gauge steel, plastic lined, and when I emptied out the varnish inside, only a bit of dirt came out.

I removed the tanks, which took a while because the long carriage bolts through them had rusted themselves together. The tanks had a 73 emissions sticker so were probably added as a result of the embargo. I then bought replacement fuel line and some barbed fittings to change to rubber fuel lines. I also noticed they were rusty on the outside, and I had some unused Zero Rust white, so I wire brused em, treated them with phosphoric acid (chem prime) and gave em a coat or two of white.

So now I am pretty pleased with how its going and I decide hmmm...they don't have senders, so why not rig them up with senders so I'll know how much fuel is in each. So I did a web search on 'Saddle Tanks' figuring that would point me in the right direction.

Boy...was that an eye opening search.... eek

Turns out (which I did not know) there have been all kinds of law suits and court battles on the 73-87 GM trucks with saddle tanks outside the frame. Turns out getting broadsided will probably rupture a tank, dump fuel all over the place, and be a quick ticket to the inferno.

So I'll take these nice tanks and leave them off and give them to my cuzin so he can make use of them as auxillary (stationary) tanks out at the horse ranch. They snake up around the bed and I don't think they'll fit in the frame.

Oh well. Learn and live in this case. I'll just use the old interior fire bomb instead. I might swap to a tank out back depending on how things shape up. At least I already have the fuel fill doors for it if I do.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Guess you didn't see the 60 Minutes show then??

I'd leave them, unless you are planning to be broad sided?!? Or you could find some skinnier saddle tanks that are fuel cells that will fit inside the frame. Or, find one big one to put between the axle and the tail end of the bed.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Like Mr. Smith said, that bad press was fabricated. I wouldn't worry about the tanks, there's millions of them like that out there. It would be just as dangerous to have them inside the frame and have a driveshaft break in my opinion,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
K
k10 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
It was Dateline, not 60 minutes. NBS was sued successfully by GM due to NBC rigging the tests with detonators to "enhance" the effect. Keep Googling.
From an article about Ken Auletta'
" A key decision-maker at NBC says that it was "outrageous" for Gartner to stonewall G.M. and to defend his own news staff even after he learned that someone had hidden miniature rockets on the truck and detonated them just before the collision. Even before Gartner resigned, on March 2nd, he was about to be fired. "He knew about this incident for several days," this man said. "He didn't investigate it in depth. He should have looked into it more, because he was aware that he was being sued before he issued a statement defending News."

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
But wasn't it 60 minutes that did the story about Dateline falsefying everything??

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 164
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 164
The real world isn't Hollyweird. Cars and trucks don't go "BOOM" and burst into flames in most accidents.

It would take an incredible side impact to rupture the tanks, then you would have to have an ignition source, then you would have to be incapacitated where you couldn't escape....

Not impossible, but unlikely. You could always put a cage of steel bars on the outside of the tanks for added protection.

For a comparison, look at all the Stovebolts with gas tanks inside the cabs that have had no problem.

Caveat: I personally know of a fatality in a F**d with an in-cab gas tank. Cap came off in a roll-over and a little girl died.

Nothing is fail-safe. Common sense precautions will protect you in 99% of wrecks.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
Maybe, maybe not. Here are some of the sources I found:

This describes the issue.

http://www.autosafety.org/GM-CK/background.htm

This one is a bit more to the point. It starts out noting 1800 people have been killed, and about 30 a year are going according to them:

http://www.citizen.org/pressroom/release.cfm?ID=702


A letter about it:

http://consumerlawpage.com/article/gm-open-letter.shtml

The tanks are not critical to my enjoyment of the vehicle. If you read through all this stuff you'll see inboard tanks are safer. And Canyon, that cage was a suggested improvement.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 146
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 146
actualy its not the tank being inside the cab thats unsafe, its the neck being outside. i run demolition derbys, and the tanks are mounted as close to center inside the car, and where the rear seat was. as long as its mounted good, it wont go anywhere when being hit, and its not likely that a car will get to the center of your car.inside the frame would be good also, baring something getting past the frame. my thinking about the outboard tanks, is dont be the one getting hit, do the hitting. eek

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 209
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 209
But the corvair is still safe at any speed right? lol :p

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
I remember when mercedes made a big deal about putting the fuel tank right behind the rear seat so it couldn't get smacked in an accident. I thought the cab location was probably not that bad. If its out back it can be got to, but on my truck, someone would have to go through 9 ft of flatbed, and if they could do that, well, I doubt I would know about it.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
I drive a 79 chev as a daily driver. Never even knew that these trucks had a problem with "exploding" in an accident.I'am not going to get rid of the truck becuase of that. I would'nt trade for a new one. Best driving truck ever had.


38 original
48 panel
59 stepside
46 in the back forty
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
I was just hit by a semi truck/trailer in my 64, then the truck rolled into the ditch. Full tank of fuel, the truck snatched the neck cap & door handle off(were found down the road)but no flame. truck pics but when I was sitting on the headliner amazed I was alive I heard the glug glug of 16 gallons of $2.29 fuel running out & I decided I should exit the truck. no two wrecks are the same, brian


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
i have heard mixed reports about this rumor. i think that it is a load of crap. on top of that those saddle tanks are really useful. my 72 had a 30 gallon stock tank, and two 30 gallon aux tanks (saddle bags). that is 90 gallons of fuel, it made for a great cruising range. mine all hooked up to the gas gauge, it read a different level for each tank. it was nice when i had to drive long distances.


"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton

My Machine
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
autoazore;
The corvair was a poor handling car as released from the factory due to 2 things:1-the factory decided just before release that there were insurmountable problems in casting the individual cylinder aluminum heads the engine was designed for,so they designed a different,one piece casting and cast it in iron.
2-the factory had trouble getting the tires that were used on the prototypes so the 4 ply tires were replaced in production with 2 ply tires. They had enough flex in the sidewalls that,with the added weight of the iron heads and GM's low recommended tire pressure really did make it a scarey car to drive. I've owned 3 of 'em,and all it takes to make them really great handling cars is a good rear sway bar,good shocks,and beefier tires. (The engines were a whole different story though.)Yes,given these minor corrections,they really are safe at any speed they're capable of. (Personal best-136 mph top,131 mph ave. over 65 miles)
There's more than you ever wanted to know about Corvairs,right?
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
The links are there, the facts are there, draw your own conclussions. Maybe I'll put the tanks and the selector valve in the swap meet or on ebay.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0