Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (MickeyP, jmoore, GMCJammer51, TPR57C, Eisenholtz, 55shaker, 1 invisible),
107
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,627 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 627 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 627 | I heard there waa an accessory for runningboards to make them easier for workers to stand on while the truck was traveling. Not sure if true. What do you all think is the rarest of all 47-55.1 pickup accessories?
Mike Barnes 1950 GMC 1-ton pickup
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 | A factory radio is pretty rare.
an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 627 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 627 | No doubt about that, but you can go to ebay and bid on a radio almost any day. I'm sure there are other accessories that we have never even heard of before. Cattle catcher grille guards are quite rare and the most expensive accessory I've seen if you can even find one.
Mike Barnes 1950 GMC 1-ton pickup
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | maybe one of those cooler air deals over the window that was called air condition,,not real sure if they had them on trucks, and if they didnt I suspose that would be rare..........Fred Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 627 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 627 | The "anything you want, Honey" hot chick passenger seat accessory is the rarest of all and certainly the most expensive!
Mike Barnes 1950 GMC 1-ton pickup
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 | A cattle catcher grill guard?
I'm gunna have to google that one!
an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 466 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 466 | | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 321 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 321 | can you say "over accessorized???"
the thermometer spinner is pretty cool though.
i have one of the window "air conditioners" (read that swamp cooler) for my truck. works pretty well until late july/august. then the humidity goes up and, well, let's just say that's why we look forward to october.
as far as rarest? i'd have to go with buddy in ak. clocks were pretty rare. but then again, two tailights were pretty rare in 50 too. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 | The only thing that truck is missing is a Hula Hula girl on the dashboard!
an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 | Regarding the running boards, you are probably referring to "wide running boards", which in 49 was option #389, for half ton pickups. They make the running boards widen at the rear end by the bed, making it easier for someone to stand, such as paper boys delivering papers from the bed of the truck. I have actually seen these boards, but only once. As for rarest accessory, maybe the electric shaver? Or probably rarer is the spare tire lock for the older style spare carriers. Those came with every 1/2 and 3/4 ton truck, but are now even harder to find than the carriers themselves. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 355 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 355 | My '54 has a clock. It winds up every 24 hours. I've never had it cleaned and it still works! Pretty cool to hear it ticking away. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 321 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 321 | i think i have one of those spare tire locks! it was in the glove compartment when i was cleaning it out after i bought it. could never figure out what the thing was but that's what i had narrowed it down to. the carrier has been highly modified since it's no longer under the bed but on the side.
any place i could find a picture of what one of those locks looks like just for confirmation? | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 | Well, here is one for sale on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1947...QQitemZ4586229446QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW Hope that link works, unlike the lock for sale! I might add, that was quite a bit of good luck for you to find the lock in the glove box. The ignition key should fit it if it is the original that came with the truck. Also, a friend of mine bought one on ebay for $250, he REALLY wanted it. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2002 Posts: 179 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2002 Posts: 179 | I know this is not an accessory, but any J.T.Cantrell bodied truck has got to be very rare for the AD model years. Here is an example of a 1952 Woodie... [img] http://www.oldwoodies.com/img/truck/52chev-carlzech1.jpg[/img]
When I go cruisin' in the old truck....women smile, men weep and dogs beg for rides.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 |
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 408 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 408 | I have something called a crash bar that is almost the width of the truck and as high as the hood. I have traced it to the Perry Tractor Co. in Waco Texas. They told me they offered it to chevrolet dealers for early 50 models.Does anyone else no of these. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 321 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 321 | thanks brian. mystery solved. the one i have looks just like the one on e-bay. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | wodniw5, That Grille Guard, you speak of, is a, "Smash Hit" Grille Guard, manufactured by, The Perry Company, of Waco Texas. They were an After market accessory, sold at alot, of Chevrolet Dealerships, in the South. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | I'd have to say, the wide running board , is the "rarest". I've been working, on these trucks, since I was 12 yrs. old(43 now), & only seen one of them. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 408 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 408 | Thanks spanky, mine looks like it was chrome, but It needs to be redone where any of them painted it would be alot cheaper or maybe powder coat. any suggestions | | | | | Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 384 | Brian-- I have a complete spare tire lock--only one I have ever seen complete and it works. The one shown on ebay is both broken and incomplete(triangular cover is missing)--there is a large triangular piece that attaches via the lock cylinder and covers three bolt studs. Stamped GM. 
Buzz'n Half Dozen
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 299 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 299 | I think those side fender moldings a pretty rare, wish I had a set, sniff,sniff. Lothar | | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | The lock shown on ebay is complete for the spare tire hangar under the bed. My 46 has the very same lock. In addition to this little cast iron lock, there is a long hex nut with a groove for the lock to catch. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 328 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 328 | I know the rarest of all the rare accessories for any AD truck... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . An original one! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 384 | Interesting Jim--I stand corrected...as I didn't realize an underbed lock was made. Mine is for a side mount spare and it is the only one of its kind I have seen--guess that explains the triangular piece difference. Handy, ir you have your truck in the city...I've always kept my spare locked up although more for the wheels than the tires.
Buzz'n Half Dozen
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 | How bout a left nut warmer. (for right nut amputees) GM part #: yadda, yadda, yadda LOL  Sorry, couldn't help myself. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 30 Member | | Member Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 30 | | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 | You gotta be kiddin me! If ya don't know the sun sets in the West, I guess it's gonna cost ya. LOL (shipping & handling extra) | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 321 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 321 | good one shipwrhight!
told my wife i was going to bid on it. she said that she hoped i had heat in the shop...
never really knew where i was going anyway so i guess i'm still sleeping with my wife. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 399 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 399 | My favorite is the "G.M. self emptying ashtray" Part number 983817 It mounts on the vent window. When you open the vent window the ashtray swings out and emptys it self. Never saw one in real life. I only have a copy of an ad from the 40s/50s. Not sure if it was really a factury ad on. The ad says "Americas finest genuine GM Accessories" Frank | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 | The pics of the GMC from Kook showed old style 'suicide knobs'.... I really like those! Anyone ever see those available anywhere?? (Not with the thermometer tho! He's got one on the other side as well) | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 | What's funny is somebody run that ugly compass up to $1500.. and if I had one on my truck, i'd take it off and toss it in the trash.
One mans junk really is another mans treasure!
an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,444 Moderator - The Electrical Bay | | Moderator - The Electrical Bay Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,444 | Fumblin, if you had one of those $1500 compasses on your truck, you could sell it on ebay for $1500... that is the going price for them.
Another quality post. Real Trucks Rattle HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | The '47 & '48 GMC Hood Ornament GMC Prt. No. 2233249, with the clear, lucite incert wings, is "Rare". | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | Another "Rare" Accessory is, GMC Prt. No. 2233295, Windshield Wiper, Vacuum booster. Available, on '47-'55 GMC series 100-470. Was also available, for all Chevy Trucks. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 4 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: May 2005 Posts: 4 | What about a hood emblem off a '50 chevy truck. I have one...haven't seen another. Some kind of bird. It's actually a pretty cool emblem. What's that worth ??
1970 bbc Monte carlo 1950 chevy truck
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 11 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 11 | When I bought my 52 I noticed it had an aluminum ratchet device over the driver door. I asked the PO what that was and he said it was a cable and spring operated signal arm. Has anyone seen one of those? | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 | How rare is the passenger side wiper hole plug? I have one that was on a truck I bought,never seen another one. I imagine the trucks with a single wiper were fairly common back in the day,but you sure don't see many of 'em now! Speed | | |
| |