The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 99 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,143
Posts1,056,494
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#192228 10/28/2005 3:40 AM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
I finally got my 53 road legal. When I was driving home tonight, a wee little red light between the 40 and 50 mark went on. I have never noticed it before, but I have never driven it far before. Is this a warning light of some sort? What does it mean? Thanks!

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
The only red light (or yellow) that I've seen on the speedo is the high beam idicator light. Step on your dimmer switch and see if it goes off.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 52
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 52
The little red light is probably the headlight high beam indicator. Push on the switch on the floor and see if the red light goes out.


Growing old is manditory-Growing up is optionial.
Jamo
http://community.webshots.com/user/erics46
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
haha you guys are great! That didn't even cross my mind. Thanks! grin

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 135
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 135
Make sure you test the dimmer switch while parked. Sometimes those old switches are so little used that only one side (dim or bright) will work. Stepping on the switch while driving along might just take all of your headlights out rather than switching them.


Word hard, play harder, enjoy life!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 113
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 113
I've never seen a speedo with any kind of light on it but I'm not into wearing that type of thing... smile

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
Rsg2506 When I wore my speedo I went so fast that I didn't need no stinking brake light! LOL


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
#192235 10/28/2005 10:30 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
On the chevy trucks it's at the bottom of the gauge. The bulb socket can pop out from the back side to get a replacement bulb.


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
#192236 10/28/2005 11:16 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
Ah ha! Windy, I've had that problem periodically... as I'm driving and hit the dimmer my lights go out but if I hit it another couple times they come back on... so you say it's a worn switch?? What're my options?


Larry Bear

55.5 Chevy 3100 Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery


#192237 10/29/2005 12:10 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
I'd say replace the dimmer switch.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 135
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 135
Options, drive with lights on low, or
Rich'sToys has the answer, replace the switch.

I wouldn't say the switch is worn, possibly the terminals are just corroded over. Working the switch 50 times a day for awhile might break through the corrosion and cause it to work nicely----on the other hand why take a chance on safety?


Word hard, play harder, enjoy life!
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
Thanks guys! But is there a way to replace the back lights on the guages? Now both of the back lights dont work. Or is there something else I should check that wears out or comes loose on the back of the guage? Thanks!

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
The back lights just clip into the gauge housings.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
The bulbs are held in place by wimpy little push clips. They might have just pulled out of the sockets. This does make them easy to change though. Might want to bend the little clips a little for a tighter fit. wink

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
B
Moderator
Moderator
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
Quote
Originally posted by Larry Bear:
Ah ha! Windy, I've had that problem periodically... as I'm driving and hit the dimmer my lights go out but if I hit it another couple times they come back on... so you say it's a worn switch?? What're my options?
Mine was to bad that it would make the lights flicker and go out all the time. I unscrewed the switch from the floor and took a little bit of scotchbright pad and a tweezers and cleaned the terminals up real good. Then I did the same to the wiring connector. When I was satisfied that it was clean enough, I bent the contacts a bit to make sure they would get a good tight connection and now my lights are rock solid on high or low beam.


Don't lose your head to save a minute,
You need your head, your brains are in it.
Burma-Shave (1947)
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
Thanks for the info Brad!


Larry Bear

55.5 Chevy 3100 Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery


Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 164
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 164
If the guage lights are giving you trouble, have you checked the headlight switch? I seem to recall they could adjust the brightness/dimness of the gauge lights by twisting it.

I also seem to recall they seldom worked well or for long.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0