Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,286 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 439 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 439 | I finally got my 53 road legal. When I was driving home tonight, a wee little red light between the 40 and 50 mark went on. I have never noticed it before, but I have never driven it far before. Is this a warning light of some sort? What does it mean? Thanks! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | The only red light (or yellow) that I've seen on the speedo is the high beam idicator light. Step on your dimmer switch and see if it goes off. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 52 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 52 | The little red light is probably the headlight high beam indicator. Push on the switch on the floor and see if the red light goes out. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 439 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 439 | haha you guys are great! That didn't even cross my mind. Thanks!  | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 135 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 135 | Make sure you test the dimmer switch while parked. Sometimes those old switches are so little used that only one side (dim or bright) will work. Stepping on the switch while driving along might just take all of your headlights out rather than switching them.
Word hard, play harder, enjoy life!
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 113 Member | | Member Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 113 | I've never seen a speedo with any kind of light on it but I'm not into wearing that type of thing...  | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 988 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 988 | Rsg2506 When I wore my speedo I went so fast that I didn't need no stinking brake light! LOL
Brian Moore 1949 3100 5 window Deluxe "Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow" | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 | On the chevy trucks it's at the bottom of the gauge. The bulb socket can pop out from the back side to get a replacement bulb.
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 | Ah ha! Windy, I've had that problem periodically... as I'm driving and hit the dimmer my lights go out but if I hit it another couple times they come back on... so you say it's a worn switch?? What're my options? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,988 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,988 | I'd say replace the dimmer switch. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 135 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 135 | Options, drive with lights on low, or Rich'sToys has the answer, replace the switch.
I wouldn't say the switch is worn, possibly the terminals are just corroded over. Working the switch 50 times a day for awhile might break through the corrosion and cause it to work nicely----on the other hand why take a chance on safety?
Word hard, play harder, enjoy life!
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 439 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 439 | Thanks guys! But is there a way to replace the back lights on the guages? Now both of the back lights dont work. Or is there something else I should check that wears out or comes loose on the back of the guage? Thanks! | | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | The back lights just clip into the gauge housings. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 | The bulbs are held in place by wimpy little push clips. They might have just pulled out of the sockets. This does make them easy to change though. Might want to bend the little clips a little for a tighter fit.  | | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 476 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 476 | Originally posted by Larry Bear: Ah ha! Windy, I've had that problem periodically... as I'm driving and hit the dimmer my lights go out but if I hit it another couple times they come back on... so you say it's a worn switch?? What're my options? Mine was to bad that it would make the lights flicker and go out all the time. I unscrewed the switch from the floor and took a little bit of scotchbright pad and a tweezers and cleaned the terminals up real good. Then I did the same to the wiring connector. When I was satisfied that it was clean enough, I bent the contacts a bit to make sure they would get a good tight connection and now my lights are rock solid on high or low beam.
Don't lose your head to save a minute, You need your head, your brains are in it. Burma-Shave (1947)
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 | Thanks for the info Brad! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 164 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 164 | If the guage lights are giving you trouble, have you checked the headlight switch? I seem to recall they could adjust the brightness/dimness of the gauge lights by twisting it.
I also seem to recall they seldom worked well or for long. | | |
| |