The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (‘37ChevyPU, Hotrod Lincoln, Otto Skorzeny, CuzzFuzz, Shaffer's1950, SlimSix, TrknGMC, 1 invisible), 81 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,451
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
chris 55 made me think of this question when he was speaking about his 55/1st that he has for-sale in the sale section,,stated that some think the thing should drive/ride like 2001 BMW so the question is,, how far do you let them drive if at all, do you just keep your mouth shut and say nothing( hard for me to do that)do you tell them all you know about the truck, good and bad,,and so forth,, the sale seems to have a better chance if they have owned a truck like it before but then you have a lot that this may be their first... .just curious..Fred


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 68
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 68
Seems like ever time Ive ever sold an older vehicle, 40 years or older it involved giving an education to the perspective. I had my 54 for sale for a while and could have sold it a couple of times but after talking to the guy a while I would see that he expected more from a 50 year old truck than was reasonable so I would just tell them they would probably be better off with a later model or a retro rod. Wait for the right buyer I would say..... Ronnie

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 709
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 709
My 59 is on the market and my ads pretty much give a brief history and what has been done to the truck. If I get someone who seems a serious buyer I tell him the truck is not perfect and does have flaws though minor then go on to explain or show them. Being the owner I feel I am much more critical and am more familiar with the truck and most people who see it are so impressed with it they say they would never have noticed what I point out. And you are correct, a lot of folks even the older ones don't seem to know much about them or maybe they have forgotten.


Bruce
Old Toy: Ol' Betsy stock 59 Apache SB Stepside (Gone but not Forgotten)
New Toy: 1962 Impala SS Coupe
The Driver: 1990 Toyota truck
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
i agree.

the other thing that i have discovered is there is a group of people out there that absolutely love the old trucks and ooh and aah over mine when it's parked, but the reality is that few of them would (or could) endure the commitment of owning a vehicle of this vintage. i've had several people say they would love to own one but after a little conversation, you can pretty much tell who could hack it and who could not. at this point i politely inform them of what goes into maintaining, operating and living with an older vehicle.

let's face it. this is not a comfort vehicle. people love the nostalgia of them but there are few who would really put up with the idiosyncrasies of this as a daily driver, let alone a hobby.

i find total honesty is the best policy for a couple of reasons. first, they may not really have the dedication it takes to own the vehicle and second, my worst nightmare would be someone who would buy a nice vintage example and then, because they can't handle the up-keep, let it decay.

i guess what i'm saying is that there are getting to be fewer and fewer of these trucks, original or not, that are still on the road and to let it fall into the hands of a fare weather owner seems criminal.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
Honesty is the best policy...

Let the buyer beware...

Where to draw the line???

If someone is in the market for an antique, they should know what they are looking for.

One cannot expect a 'Bolt to resemble a Beemer!... if they do, they are dilusional...


IRWIPI 2005 Peoples Choice
Inky,
"It's not that I haven't done IT... It's that I haven't done IT yet."

--------------------
'48 1-1/2 ton Dump
'57 Chevy Panel
'59 Chevy 2 ton Dump
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
joker - you sellin' the jokermobile Red Ryder?

frown

-W

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 158
I found that the best approach is to keep the ad with just the basic pros about the vehicle. If I put a complete description in the ad, I get a lot fewer calls.

When people actually come to see the vehicle and we get to talking, I make sure to tell them everything I can think of.

Brian


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0