Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (2-Ton),
133
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,114 Posts1,056,287 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 20 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 20 | My 3/4 ton has the old 8 lug split rim wheels. What modern type wheel could be used to replace these? I also have a 48 1 1/2 ton dual rear wheel. Is there a modern wheel that would replace these? Also having trouble finding a rebuild kit for the 1 1/2 ton master cylinder and wheel cylinder. Know where I could find these? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | The 3/4 Ton rim is hard to replace. There is an OEM style trailer rim made by Hayes which is workable on the front. I think that a 70s to 80s 8 lug Chev rim will work on the back. There is also a white spoke rim with red and blue pinstrpes that is made for auotomotive use that will fit on the front. The big problem on the front is that the setbackn a modern rim will cause interfeence with the tierod end.
I would try Jim Carters for the rebuild kits. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | I still get parts for my 48 1 1/2 ton from Carquest, Scott | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 7 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 7 | I took my 17" split rim down to a trailer shop and we matched the backset up as close as we could to a 16" trailer rim. Fits great front and rear. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 255 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 255 | You can use just about any modern 8 lug wheel on the back. I have 9.50 x 16.5's on the back of my 48-3/4 ton and they fit fine. Its the front that is the challenge. There are a few members of this board that have used the 16" trailer wheels all the way around. Others have taken the old wheels to one of the speciality shops and had the center section fitted to a modern tubless rim, usually 16". I have also heard that the 70's Ford 3/4 ton wheels will work for these trucks with the addition of the hubcap clips. Ralph | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 15 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 15 | I have a thin spacer from Napa on the front which allows me to run a 7X16. The end of my right tie rod shows the signs of a previous attempt to install wider rims. I have been looking at some of the larger bolt on type spacers which would put the wheel closer to the fender. Anyone tried this? AOR4X4 has a nice zinc plated steel set. I think I would feel more comfortable with steel than billet. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 148 Member | | Member Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 148 | i have a set of 8-lug wheels for sale. they are 16"x7" and i can sell them with or without tires: here they are: http://img14.imgspot.com/u/05/171/14/DSC00192.JPG
2003 ford lightning 1959 chevy 36
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 37 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 37 | O.K., not to sound too stupid, but I think I'm losing something in the translation, what is a "trailer place", can someone please tell me. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | A trailer place sells trilers and trailer parts. It happens that they sell a wheel that has the correct backset for the AD 3/4 Ton and 1 Ton non dually chassis. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 62 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 62 | I running 8 lug wheels on my 1 ton. They came off of a F**D motor home that NASA used so they are rated for a load on the road. I am using 3/16" spacers on the front and they work fine. You might look for take-off rims at a RV shop. (235/85/16 tires) | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 37 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 37 | Man I really am stupid. O.K. So are you guys telling me a trailer place is a R.V. dealer or a place that sells mobile home trailer's, or are we talking about the kind of trailer you hook up to the back of a truck to haul things?
What is a take off rim? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 398 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 398 | They're talking R.v./mobile home dealer. Also, you may wish to try the type of dealer where smaller utility trailers are built or sold-you know, like small car-towing trailers, box or utility trailers that you would pull with your car or light-duty truck. A "take-off" wheel is one removed from a new (or almost new) vehicle in order to be replaced with an upgraded wheel and tire package. Hope this helps clear up your questions. Regards, Wannabe 
"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 37 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 37 | Thanks Wannabe, I've never noticed any r.v. place around here, but i'll get the phone book out or search the web. Thanks for clearing things up for me. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | '70s era Fjord and Dodge wheels are supposed to be fairly close to the correct backset. You might want to check out the boneyards. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 37 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 37 | Thanks for the input GMC, it's appreciated. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 452 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 452 | Search here for "8 lug rims", "8 bolt rims", etc. There are a couple of treads with links to manufacturers. I bought 4 Hayes-Lemerz (sp?) rims for my 3/4T for $80 Cdn each. Look great, no interference. The stock hub caps don't fit without modification, though. I might cut the back rim down about 1/4" and add clips to the wheels. Large chrome domes are also available.
Current fleet (subject to change w/o notice) \'49 GMC 3/4-Ton , 60 Austin Healey Frog-eye Sprite (some assembly required), 2011 Dodge Avenger, 2015 Jeep Cherokee. No, they don't all run. My other ride is a (B737)no, (B767)no, A320.... Update... was Embraer E190, now Boeing B787. Knowledge is a wonderful thing, but ignorance means you don't know you can't do something.
| | |
| |