The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (ronsway, Peggy M, Otto Skorzeny, papas52, Jack Ryan, 2 invisible), 76 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,340
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
As I'm redoing my 3 year old re-build, I've wished for a easy way to remove to combination of solid old and newer softer grease that has built up around my spring schackles and other areas. I can't media blast as it is still on the truck. It is a mess. What can you guys suggest? I guess I'm hopping that some miracle product besides elbow grease has been invented in the last couple of years.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 22
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 22
There are alot of new products out there that are good for this but still requier some elbo greese to get it all off. I like to stick with the good old stand by (Gunk). It does everthing I need it to do. sometimes I will use (Greesed Lighting) if its not to much of a buildup. If you have access to a steam cleaner you can get most of the buildup off with out using a cleaner.


Doug
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I've used oven cleaner on really hard to clean areas before. Works pretty good if you follow the instructions,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
For the engine, tranny, frame, I put a 1 inch twisted bristle brush on my drill and went to town. Wire brushes to knock off the big chunks. When you get down to the metal, use the solvents and then high pressure....wash, rinse repeat....as many times. A standard wire brush on the drill for the sheet metal undersides....

I collected about 20 gallons of dirt/grease/crud mix when all done....I was amazed at the amount of stuff stuck to the underside of my truck.

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
I've used the purple industrial cleaner at Home Depot. I sprayed it on with a $12.00 siphon "sand blasting " gun also from there. I sprayed it straight from the bottle, hit it with a nylon brush after waiting about 5 min. then rinsed with a garden hose. It got the better part of the 46 year old grease and dirt off the first time. It did take some of the "Newer" rustoleum paint that my brothers put on in '96. It didn't touch the original paint though. I've done the engine, trans, frame so far and sure beats the wire brush. Just rinse well and use a compressor to air dry if you don't want it to rust in a day!


I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 36
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 36
Simple green works great for me. either straight from the bottle or a 50/50 mix. when ever I clean my truck I spray the engine bay, wheel wells, and under of the truck and bed if I have the time.


DustyG.

1952 Chevy 1.5 ton
1949 Gmc 2 ton flatbed Dump

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0