The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 106 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,440
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#174327 05/29/2005 3:34 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 7
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 7
I just purchased a 53 5 window, wouldn't run so i replaced plugs, wires all the good stuff and finally got it going but it's only running on 1 & 2 I've triple checked everything any ideas ?

#174328 05/29/2005 4:11 PM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 29
5
Apprentice
Apprentice
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 29
Stuck Valves?

#174329 05/29/2005 4:13 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
Try a compression check. And you might also want to pull the valve cover and verify that you don't have stuck valves on the other cylinders. This, of course would affect the compression check.

Greetings from Taylorsville.

#174330 05/29/2005 6:28 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 7
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 7
Thanks for the input I will check it out the vavle and see whats up.

#174331 05/30/2005 6:47 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
Is the distributor cap properly seated? if you have any debris on edge it may not seat. Are the wires pushed all the way into distribuor cap. If you put the spark plug wires on3,4,5,6 close to a ground do they have spark?(arcing)If there's no spark at wire ends start there and work back to distributor. If you do have spark start checking compression etc.

#174332 05/30/2005 9:27 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 7
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 7
Well I followed your advice and pulled the valve cover and there are 5 bent pushrods. So now I will dig in a little deeper and see what I can find. Or look for for a 235 and replace While I've got the chance. Anyone got any good leads on one ??

#174333 05/30/2005 10:30 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
Bummer on the bent valves. But that would cause it to misfire on those cylinders, that's for sure.

Check out the Truck Parts For Sale and the Truck Parts Wanted forums. There's a 2235 motor with 3 speed trans for sale in there right now. I just glanced at it, so I don't know where it's located, but that's a good starting point.

I don't have any motors for sale at the moment...and all of my stuff would be newer that your 53...otherwise I'd be happy if I could help out a fellow Bolter. All I have as spares right now is a 406 V8 in a basket and a seized-up 454.

Good luck with it.

#174334 05/30/2005 11:12 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
I'd guess either the valves were adjusted way too tight or the lifters stuck in the bore.


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
#174335 05/31/2005 12:18 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I think that you said bent pushrods, did you not? There have been lots of posts about this. They are usually caused by stuck valves on a motor that has been sitting or running on old gas. Several people have straightened them out, freed up the valves , reassembled them and adjusted thevalves. The results are usually quite good.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#174336 06/01/2005 2:21 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 7
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 7
I think I will try straighting the pushrods and check the the lifters out and re-adjust the vavles see if I can get it running while I'm searching of a 235 at least I'll beable to drive it.

#174337 06/03/2005 1:11 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
Before you put those push rods back in make sure the valves are free. Otherwise you will have the same result.


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
#174338 06/04/2005 1:34 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 196
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 196
canman,

Just curious(I'm a little new to diagnosing), how can you tell that only 1 and 2 are firing? Even though the valves are bent, they should ALL get spark, right? Just not compression. Maybe you checked the compression AND spark on all cylinders.

Rance


66 C10 FS/LB 292/4-spd manual (I also enjoy Hang Gliding)
I'm too sexy for my hair, that's why it isn't there
#174339 06/04/2005 4:48 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 7
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 7
Well i straightened the pushrods they wern't bent to bad but i got them straight as possible and i made sure the vavles were freed up put the pushrods back in and just snugged up the the adjusting nut and turned it over to make sure all the vavles were were opening and they seem to be working all right. Now I'll adjust them to the correct clearance while I'm waiting for my gaskets to here today. One question won't the vavle lash be a little different on the ones that were bent because there not perfectly straight ? Maybe I should just replace them. The way I found out it was only firing on 1 & 2 was when it did start it was missing really bad so when I was checking to see if all the wires were on good I pulled them off every cylinder and it made no difference on any of them except 1 & 2 it actually ran on one cylinder i was amazed.

#174340 06/05/2005 5:24 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
Give it a shot with the straightened pushrods,and if it sounds pretty good,then you might want to replace the ones you fixed. A little Marvel Mystery Oil (maybe a pint)in the crankcase and a dab (a capful or two per fill up)in the gas tank will make it run happier too.


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck
#174341 06/06/2005 1:25 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 7
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 7
Where can I get some of this Marvel Mystery Oil ?


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0