The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (53 green 1- ton, DadsFirstPickup, 1955 1 Series, 1 invisible), 82 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,713
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#170330 10/29/2004 11:28 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
So how long do they last?.I bought my 94 S10 in 1997,I think the dealer threw in a new battery,not sure,but it's still got the same Delco battery in it,nearly 8 years.
I just replaced the water pump,the seal failed ,140,000 it lasted.Did the gas sender too,10 years of rough NY winters did it in.Other than that,only the alternator need a bearing and the usual brake job every 50,000 miles.
I been driving used Chevy trucks since the mid 70's most were rusted high mileage bombers ,but none of them gave me any problems other than the rusty brake lines and a radiator or two.
My only non Chevy was a beater 74 Dodge van with a Slant Sludge engine.It had so much blowby,water vapor would freeze in the oil pan,darn engine wouldn't pick up oil pressure on a cold start.I would start it,run for a minute, shut it off,wait a few minutes,do it again until the little bit of engine heat thawed the ice in the pan.Other than typical Mopar starter and alternator problems,it always got me to where I wanted to go.

#170331 10/30/2004 12:27 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I put a water pump on my '72 a few months ago. It’s making noise again already. Not sure what the warranty was, but it was a cheap one, so I'll probably replace it with a better one.

Early this year, my IBM notebook died just weeks out of warrantee. The replacement was not an IBM.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#170332 10/30/2004 12:47 AM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
I bought my '62 dumptruck in '89. I used it in construction and hauled hundreds of tons of debris to various dumps all over the Bay Area. During that time I bought one used tire and one clutch. All I gotta do is keep the brake fluid topped up which seems to disappear.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
#170333 10/30/2004 1:29 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
2 years ago I replaced the original alternator in my '64, which obviously lasted 40 years. I had to replace the second one again this year when the front bearing seized up and burnt the fan belt off. They just don't make them like they used to (especially in Taiwan or China),
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
#170334 10/30/2004 1:29 AM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
my 52 still has the same steering wheel grin


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

#170335 10/30/2004 2:31 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
My first car was a 47 F..d coupe bought in 1962. It was old. My daily driver now is an 81 Malibu which I bought in 1994 for $800. It now has over 300,000 miles on it. It will be 24 years old this season and except for stem seals I've put nothing on it, not counting tires, battery and a starter. Today's parts don't last as long I am sure. Called planned obsolesence.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
#170336 10/30/2004 2:55 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 543
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 543
A Cessna 182 and a '62 Dodge truck. If you're going to show a wrecked truck, do a Ford next time, huh???


Pessimist - Sees glass as half-empty. Optimist - Sees glass as half-full. Gov't- Sees glass and takes it from you because you have a glass.
Political Correctness: A philosophical belief system bereft of common sense and logic, that supports and rewards ignorance and stupidity.

#170337 10/30/2004 4:54 AM
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 106
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 106
How about an '03 Impala with 164,000 miles. Change the oil every 15,000 miles whether needed or not grin .So far needed: 3 lightbulbs, 1 set of tires, battery(way back under warranty). Still has the factory brake pads too. And, when I travel a lot, I sleep in it a few days a week with the air conditioning or heat running all night, or when it's hot, the A/C runs all day for my pup.


51 Chevy 1/2 ton-Restored
46 GMC 1 1/2 ton-Farm Fresh
#170338 10/30/2004 12:43 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Tony M,,, check to see if the brake fluid is going into the Hydrovac unit. (should be on the drivers side frame rail near the back of the cab).
-
-
Patrick66,, the blue truck is an early 70`s Toyota.
-
-
I have replaced so many parts on so many vehicles for so long that now I am qualified to replace anything with nothing and sttill make it work grin
-
On my 48 1 ton and my 72 3/4 4x4, I only replaced parts because I wanted to.
Hmmm,, I did replace the timing gears in my 72 on exit 174 in cottage grove when they decided to retire...
Sure miss stopping in there to visit a VERY SPECIAL Stoevbolter( those who remember know who I am talking about,,Coolamundo cool
0


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
#170339 10/30/2004 2:49 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
I think it is going into the Hydravac and eventually into the engine and gets burned. If I do an emergency stop I get a puff of smoke out of the exhaust pipe. I always wondered about that. Under normal conditions I think the amount is so small the engine just burns it up.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
#170340 10/30/2004 3:19 PM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
miss Bull-foot, but he could add to this list,,right Luke??


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

#170341 10/30/2004 8:34 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 219
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 219
My wife refuses to give up her '92 Bonneville.
160k miles on it. It still has the original exhaust system. I've only put a couple sets of brake pads on it. I change the oil religiously. The 3800 still runs & sounds like it did when I bought it. Gotta love those 3800's. In my opinion, they're one of the best engines GM has ever produced. We had a customer recently trade in an '89 Bonneville with over 600k on it. The trans finally went. One of the other techs bought it, got a box from the yard, and gave it to his Father. He drives it to & from N.Carolina on a regular basis. So, don't hand me that "and you wonder why people buy imports" crap. I don't want to hear it!!


"I can go anywhere...for I am a Piewagoneer...To the Piewagon"

1966 Chevy Panel Delivery 1966 in the Gallery and more on Webshots

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0