The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (RLB, carbking), 68 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,541
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#166318 06/25/2007 5:25 PM
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 5
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 5
Can anyone post a picture of a rearveiw mirror installed on a 1950 3100. I think I know where to put it but I want to be sure.

Thanks
Tom

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
Tommy631, I don't have a picture but my 48' and 53's were mounted in the center windshield strip threaded into a hole in the strip about 2 1/2 " from the top. Hope this helps!
Mike

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 5
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 5
Thanks. Thats what I needed to know.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 428
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 428
I don't have a picture either, but on my 52 the rearview mirror mounts to a bracket held to the interior divider bar trim with a bolt that retains the outer divider bar trim. My 47 to 54 assembly manual shows 5 holes in the divider bar. Perhaps for the earlier models to thread a mirror into. In the examples that I have seen personally it looks like the quick fix was to gouge a hole in the windshield gasket and screw the mirror into a nut behind the divider bar, Jimmie.

#166322 07/09/2007 12:32 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I think that there are two methods. One is to use one of the trim screws that go through the center bar and the other is to drill and tap the center bar. There is a plug of steel near the top of the divider bar that is hidden by the trim strip. I believe this is what you drill and tap.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
I am trying to install the rearview mirror on my '50 3100 truck and did a search to come up with this thread.

My question is how does the mirror mount? I have a hole in the divider bar and a hole in the retainer bar on the inside of the divider bar. Is there a bolt that must go in that hole before the windshield gasket is installed?

Does anyone have a picture? I have the assembly manual and cannot find anything showing how the mirror is installed.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back"
Webshot Photos

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Mine just screws into a threaded hole in the molding on the divider bar. You should have a threaded shaft on the mirror with a stop nut on it. I don't know anything about a hole in the divider bar.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
Isn't there a bracket that mounts to the dividing bar and then the mirror mounts to the bracket?

Mirror Bracket


1950 Chevrolet 3100 "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back"
Webshot Photos

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Not on my 49. Just a tapped hole in the divider bar. There is a post on the mirror with a threaded end and a lock nut.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Originally Posted by RedGreen
Isn't there a bracket that mounts to the dividing bar and then the mirror mounts to the bracket?

Mirror Bracket

That's the set up I've got on my '50, there's a corresponding hole in the inner 'bar' that the threaded end of the mirror goes into behind the mounting bracket.


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0