The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 116 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,541
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#166121 05/20/2007 2:35 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
I have heard some talk of people using a late model 3rd row Tahoe seat in the AD cabs. My cab is about to get final paint this week and I need to work out the seat details before he sprays it. Does anyone have pictures of this setup? Do you have to raise the seat or can it sit on the floor of the cab?

Thanks in advance.
RedGreen


1950 Chevrolet 3100 "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back"
Webshot Photos

#166122 05/22/2007 4:03 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
Hi Dave....didn't try the Tahoe seat but did out of an another FoMoCo product. The seat width was great....the factory mounting hardware is set up so that the seat can be removed...it was heavy steel with the floor locking devices. The big problem was the visual when you removed the bulky factory hardware. I'm sure that's the problem you're visualizing.

If you sit it on the existing AD seat mount you're still going to have an unsightly gap. I've seen several cut out the floor reinforcement and mount a full seat. I think this would have an adverse effect on the structural integrity of the cab.

I've scoured the yards and still haven't come up with any application that would fill the cab, and allow you to sit centered on the wheel with the passenger side correctly centered.

I wound up using a cover from LMC....had to repair my upper rail on the seat but am satisfied with the overall look.

Catch you later,

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
#166123 05/22/2007 6:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I saw an AD this past weekend that had the second row seat from a Suburban installed. It was tight but it seemed to fit well. Could not find the owner to ask questions of. The third row seat would be much too narrow for an AD. The max seat width from my measurements is 56".

#166124 05/22/2007 7:12 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
Thanks guys. My truck doesn't have the seat support in it and the body guy is going to reinforce the floor for me. I'm really searching for something with integral seatbelts. Can't seem to find any 3rd row seats right now.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back"
Webshot Photos

#166125 05/23/2007 12:09 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
I'm back at the office and not trying to type on the PDA now. So, if the 3rd row seat is not the holy grail, what is?!

I just found dimensions on replacement seats and they are 47" wide. My seat frame is 56" outside to outside and about 54" inside the rails.

What to do?! What have others done? Am I the first to ever replace the original seat?

Dave, What FoMoCo product did you use in your truck? I am not bound to Chevy products in my truck. If it works, it works.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back"
Webshot Photos

#166126 05/23/2007 2:53 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
Hey Dave....was just checking out Ebay....item #150124834463....54 Chevy pickup with a fuzzy picture of a bench seat out of a 1989 Chevy Cheyenne. Check it out as this may (or may not) be the Holy Grail!!!!

The 3rd row seats are pretty thin.....I actually put it into the truck on mock up blocks but it was just plain butt ugly. Think it was out of a WindStar or maybe an AeroStar FoMoCo. The front of the seat measures 53 inches but the back pivot measurement is 56".

With your lower support removed you should be able to use a regular full floormount. My LeSabre has some awesome leathers but they are only 51" wide. They are fairly low-backed which I like.

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
#166127 05/23/2007 2:12 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
its been said here several times that the 2000 silverado seats with the enclosed seat belts work good? my friend put Lasabre seats in his 49 and looked pretty good....just info.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
#166128 05/24/2007 2:43 AM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 17
O
Junior Member
Junior Member
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 17
I used a third row seat out of a later 90(96?) Astro van. It is the right width and height (I think) and there are no headrests. Also, if you steal the center lap belt off the 2nd row seat you have a set of lap belts too (just moved them out, there are mounts already back there). There are a lot of colors out there, Some even have sliding frames. The only only modification necessary to the seat was to cut the removable seat latch hardware off. I also removed the trucks stock seat frames because I didn't like the way they look with aftermarket seats, and reinforced the floor where I bolted the new seat in. My only complaint is that the release to tilt the seat forward is on the passenger's side. Pic's of my truck are here if you want to see what the seat looks like http://photos.yahoo.com/Tallguy2088 I like the Tahoe seats too, plus the newer ones have the shoulder type seat belts built in. I may go that way later...mmmm...leather...

#166129 05/24/2007 8:24 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 119
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 119
I heard the trick is to find the Suburban or Tahoe 3rd row seats that are individual seats and not a one piece bench seat.

#166130 06/07/2007 11:15 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 677
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 677
I used a FoMoCo aerostar 3rd row seat in my 51 it took very little to get it to fit in the origanal seat basket and it looks sweet ! It has integral seatbelts TOO ! I think it was a 91 aerostar that it came out of

Just a idea


Some people are like Slinkies, Their not really good for nothing... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

1951 3100 350 TBI Gallery Toddzilla... "$old"


#166131 06/07/2007 1:24 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
Thanks for the ideas. I found a 40/20/40 Silverado seat with integral belts that I'm going to try out. My cab and doors are coming back from the body/paint shop this weekend, so I'll try to start fitting the seats soon.

Thanks again for the ideas.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back"
Webshot Photos

#166132 06/22/2007 4:54 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 328
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 328
I found 3rd row seats with integral seat belts from a 2003 Tahoe for $70. The seller said they are 49" wide. Is this too narrow for an AD cab?


Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine and into your brain...that is where crappy ideas come from.
#166133 06/22/2007 6:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The maximum seat width for an AD is 56" so the 49 would be too narrow. The anchor points for that seat would also be needed to secure it to the floor unless you made other modifications.

#166134 06/22/2007 7:31 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 328
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 328
Thanks Jay! The seat is cheap enough, but I there is no need in buying it if I can't use it.


Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine and into your brain...that is where crappy ideas come from.

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0