The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,143
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 384
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 384
I have my door lock out and I see there is a 4 digit number on it. Does anyone know if there is a source for keys by the number and roughly what the cost is? Also, can I use a passenger side lock set in the driver's side button in order to make use of the spare keyed button and handle I have? Thanks - Scott


55 1st Chev.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
Scott - the codes may be for the pins in that tumbler, but at any rate, any good locksmith can make keys to fit the tumbler you have - around here it's 5-10$

and yes you can put the keyed handle on the other side, and prolly even get the locksmith to change the other tumbler to match the key you do have so you don't hafta use 2 keys - the guys in my area do it alla time

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
The problem around here is that our local locksmith doesn't have the blanks.He will cut you a key for $2.00,if you supply the blank.


Wanted Good Woman:
Must be able to cook , clean , sew , tune engines and polish trucks. Must have old Stovebolt and garage. Please send picture of old Stovebolt and garage.
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 442
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 442
I have seen some key blanks for GM products on eBay.. always shoppin' for a bargain!

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
My favorite locksmith here in town has the blanks. I had the key copied and they had to dig for them, but they still have 'em.

If you need blanks, I'm pretty sure that Jim Carter has them.

American Classic might, too. I can't remember.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
you might try a briggs and stratton key blank


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
A locksmith should have a book that decodes the 4 digit number you have into the depth and sequence of the notches for your lock in it's factory configuration. Problem is that it more than likely has been changed at some point in it's life to match another lock, repaired, or whatever. The best way is to let the locksmith open it up and make sure how the key should be cut to operate it.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
Your locksmith probably has it. That key blank was used into the mid 60s. It's just a standard Briggs & Stratton ignition. If he doesn't have a cheap brass blank, you can get NOS chromed brass blanks on eBay for short cash. There always seem to be a few pairs listed.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
The blanks are cheaper from one of the vendors than E-bay, I think they were 99 cents each?

If you are having the locksmith re-key things, I suggest taking him the ignition, doors, glove box and possibly gas cap, one key for everything is nice.


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
there is a guy in the VCCA magazine named Eric Jarvison or something like that, who re-keys locks and probably has kazillions of blanks. If anyone wants his addy or phone # I can did it up. He did some work for me, reasonable and a good job. If I can help drop me a line or post here.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
Any GM dealer should have the machine to cut the keys using the numbers,about 20 years ago i worked at a chevy dealer and I made a bunch of keys with the numbers. I did some snooping and found new key blanks for the 60s on back and made new keys for the 53 and 55 olds,67 C20 and 47 pontiac I had at the time

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
About 20 years ago these trucks were already 30 years old. Do you really think any dealerships stock parts or still have the key codes for 50 year old vehicles? Most locksmiths don't have the code books for these. You need to find an old timey shop.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0