| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,143 Posts1,056,495 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 141 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 141 | I finally got to try out my new welding machine last nite!! I bought a Hobart Handler 140. It's made by Miller, has all Miller parts, and is pretty reasonable - $475 for the machine, gas gauge, hose, and a spool of wire. It works great!!
One feature I really like is the Purge feature. If you are running gas - which I will be once I start welding in body panels w/short arc - you can switch your amperage knob to Purge, pull the trigger, and set your gas flow rate without rolling (wasting) wire through the whip.
I am building a welding cart from an old go-cart; I couldn't find a wheelchair, KCMongo. As soon as I'm done I'll post it on my website. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 Socket Breaker | | Socket Breaker Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 | woo hoo. send us pics when yer done. -W | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 613 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 613 | i bought a cheapie mig welder a couple of years ago,been afraid to plug it in. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 141 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 141 | | | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | Where are you going to put the gas bottle when you get one? You may want to kick the back end out a bit to support it. Good job. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 141 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 141 | Houston, I plan on mounting the bottle at an angle so it won't interfere with the rear wheels. I plan on the bottom of the bottle being in front of the rear axle, and the top being just below the rear of the welding machine. I also plan on enclosing the bottom with sheet metal or something to make a small box to put my gloves, chipping hammer, wire brush, and shield in. | | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | Sounds like a good plan. The space will limit your bottle size but I have found the 150 cf one I have will last forever so a smaller one for your cart should give you good service. Move to gas as soon as you can. You will like it. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 141 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 141 | Thanx, 54. Short arc is good, but for what I'm doing now this flux core w/out gas does the trick. Heckuva lot better than I thought it would. It reminds me alot of stick welding.
For sheet metal, short arc w/gas is the way to go, but for welding thick stuff, this gasless flux core impressed me. I was a fitter for a while, and I never thought that a flux core wire without gas would be worth anything, but this machine proved me wrong!! | | |
| |
| |